Gold leafing

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11 8:30 AM
      I can't speak on guilding wood but they were making silver leafed and pressed in a mold leather panels in Spain from about the 12th Century. So I can't see why they wouldn't have put gold leaf onto wood. They'd take skin form what is now called a Corsican Ram, alum tan it (Vegetable tanned goat skin works better and came along later), silver leaf it, press it in a wooden mold to give it a relief design and then paint the design using translucent colors so the silver would show through. They would then outline the designs in opaque black paint. They would then use the resulting panels to decorate things. In some places the wealthy would use it as wallpaper. Queen Elizabeth had a bedroom that was wallpaper this way and they made enough additional panels to make her a bed spread from it.

      Brian Broadaxe