Re: [MedievalSawdust] New Here-- Advice on bed frame?

  • Trevor Payne
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
      For a twin bed, I'd do a rope bed, not slat.

      FAR less wood to deal with for transport and the span of the twin is ideal for rope.

      Aiden

      "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
      --Benjamin Franklin--

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

        Can you leave it assembled?  I’ve found that I can assemble a slat bed much faster than I can string a rope bed, but if you have the space, you can just leave a rope bed assembled.

        Will

[...]

      • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011

          Greetings Elspeth

          Depending on the material used (hardwood or softwood), and type of assembly (tusk and tenon, or sliding joints, or hardware).

          If going with normal lumber (used in house construction) which is usually some pine or similar, 4x4 (3 ½ x 3 ½ actual measurements) should do just fine…

          You could get by using smaller, but assembly points could become weak especially if using tusk tenon joints.

          You could also check out Viking beds (lots of plans on the net, and most are slat style)

          I’ve seen a neat bed in a box I’ll see if I can find the plans again (in a bit of a rush… {I owe, I owe, so of to work I go) lol )

          Seigneur Robert du Bourg

          bobby.bourgoin@...

          Bobby Bourgoin

          If I sing a song, will you sing along, or should I just keep singing right here by myself?

          If I tell you I’m strong, will you play along, or will you see I’m as insecure as anybody else?

          If I follow along, does it mean I belong, or will I keep on feeling different from everybody else?

                                                                                  Sing Along – Blue Man Group

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2011
              Thank You, Seigneur!

              That particular folding [bed in a box] is what I was looking for-- correct time period as well! *bonus*

              Though I am still thinking of making a simple 'peg-together' and leave it set up between events... I am tired of sleeping on a camp cot. lol. Exchanging one modern 'camp cot' for a 'Period camp cot'.

              But at any rate, thanks again for the info and I will keep you all informed as to my progress and post pix of the finished project.

              All the Best,
              Elspeth McArran,
              Regiment de' Hepburn

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)" <bobby.bourgoin@...> wrote:

              > Greetings Elsphet
              >

              > I found the medieval folding bed. It's actually in the medieval sawdust
              > site. One PDF file for plans and there are pics of the completed project in
              > the photos section.
              >

              > Seigneur Robert du Bourg
              >
              > <mailto:bobby.bourgoin@...> bobby.bourgoin@...
              >
              > Bobby Bourgoin
              >

              > If I sing a song, will you sing along, or should I just keep singing right
              > here by myself?
              >
              > If I tell you I'm strong, will you play along, or will you see I'm as
              > insecure as anybody else?
              >
              > If I follow along, does it mean I belong, or will I keep on feeling
              > different from everybody else?
              >
              > Sing
              > Along - Blue Man Group
              >

              > _____

            • Wilhelm von Frankfurt
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2011
                For my queen sized bed, I used 4x4's for the posts and metal fasteners for the bed rails.

                Go to Rockler, search for "bed rails". You'll find fasteners and brackets that are easy to breakdown and will survive transport. All of these are hidden like mortise and tenon construction would be.

                I also suggest you seal your bed rails to prevent them drying/wetting and warping. One of my rails twisted a bit and made if difficult to assemble.

                Wilhelm vF

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "perriscott" <perriscott@...> wrote:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > I am new to this list and I am seeking advice from more experienced woodworkers than I. I have looked at photos and the Files section, but have not found exactly what I need...
                >
                > I am trying to work out a variation of a slat bed that breaks down for easy transport. I have found numerous versions of "full" size and even "queen" size-- it is a simple matter to downsize for a "single/twin", however, I have not been able to locate a size for legs.
                >
                > The bed has to support under 200 lbs, so 6"X6" is not _necessary_ but would no doubt be sturdier in the long run. My proposed Materials List includes (so far) 2X4's, 1X6"'s & 1X1" furring strips and 1/4" to 1/2" dowel pegs.
                >
                > If anyone can suggest a different list of materials or construction method I would be grateful. This bed will (ideally) be permanently set up for home use as well as event use, so it needs to break down and set up without losing integrity over time.
                >
                > Thank you in advance,
                > Elspeth McArran,
                > Regiment de Hepburn

              • AlbionWood
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2011
                  Leg sectional dimension is primarily determined by joinery. Since the
                  legs are mostly in compression, you only need a very small section to
                  hold 200 lbs. But you do need a wide rail-to-leg contact to reduce
                  racking stress on the legs.

                  For my slat beds, I use 8/4 planed down to about 1-3/4" thickness, and
                  about 2-1/2 to 3" wide. This leaves plenty of wood around the 7/8"
                  mortises for the rail tusk-tenons. Structurally, nominal 2x2 (1-1/2"
                  square) would probably suffice, but it would look funny.

                  Rails are more critical, because they must support a dynamic load across
                  a long span without twisting or bowing (which could cause the slats to
                  fall out). Dimensions depend on the wood you are using; with oak and
                  ash, I've had good results with 7/8" rails 5" or wider.

                  I don't build beds of softwood. My squire made a rope bed of fir, with
                  4x4 posts and 2x6 rails (tenoned full thickness through the posts). The
                  rails held up fine but the posts split above the mortises, from
                  torsion/racking.

                  The biggest thing is to design and cut the joints (side rails to legs,
                  headboard and footboard to legs) to resist racking. If those joints
                  have any play at all, the mortises are likely to split no matter how
                  thick the legs are.

                  Cheers,
                  Tim

                  p.s. You can see the design I use here: