RE: [MedievalSawdust] Decisions decisions...

  • W. Roberts
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 4, 2011
      In my experience (standard disclaimer applies: YMMV), power tools make grasshopper go through boxes of BandAdes faster, too!

      On a more serious note, if "I" had the money to throw at it I'd seriously look a good, ultra-heavy-duty, higher-than-contractor-grade circular saw - preferably worm-drive. I just seem to "steer" them better.

      Although.....I've had need for a good, floor-sized band-saw and/or drill press on occasion. If space wasn't at such a premium here, I'd probably be looking at one of them, too.

      --- furnaceplans@... wrote:

      You buy hand tools

      Power tools make grasshoppper weak.
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 5, 2011
        On Tue, January 4, 2011 4:24 am, Dan Baker wrote:
        > While the next tool on my list would be a drill press, I would go for a
        > floor model not the table top. It's going to have a better motor and more
        > throat space for bigger projects.

        I have a Rockwell radial drill press, tabletop model but on a stand. I
        can slide the boom out to the point where I can drill the center of a 36
        inch circle, swing the head out to where I can clear the whole stand and
        drill something four feet tall that's sitting on the floor. The head also
        tilts and locks at any angle.

        It's fairly rigid for all that; with the boom all the way in I've put an
        end mill in it and milled aluminum successfully, with hand feed. As the
        boom is extended of course there's more play.

        I bought this new, and I've used it hard for almost thirty years. I've
        worn out three motors--but this costs nothing because it takes 1/2 horse
        motors from toploader washing machines. Unlike most other appliances,
        this sort of washer uses a motor with thrust bearings so it can run with a
        vertical shaft, which is what you need for a radial drill. When a washing
        machine conks out, it's usually the transmission or the timer switch or
        the pump; the motor is usually fine.

        So I'm really happy with this machine, and would recommend it highly. I'm
        not sure if they're still made, but I know someone who's using one that's
        almost fifty years old, so a used one could be still in decent shape.
        They were really well made.

        Ulfhedinn
      • Jim Hart

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
            Personally I've had far more band-aid moments with my hand tools. A
            knife slipping and cutting me. A saw binding. A saw popping through
            and doing bad things to me.

            Or heck, just picking them up wrong when they are razor sharp.

            However, they have all been band-aid moments, not Emergency Room
            moments. (Well except that one time when I was cutting a leather strap
            with a knife, and the knife popping out of the strip and sliced a 4"
            long gash above my knee.)

            I've only had one incident with a power tool, and it was NOT a band-aid
            situation. It was a get to the hospital ASAP (running my finger through
            a router bit).

            I would expect any power tool incident to be a 'hospital' trip. And
            hand tools to primariy be just bandaids.

            Siegfried

            (Wait, do I have to include random 'hitting my hand on the disk sander'
            incidents? Cause they don't hurt, just remove the fingerprints for a
            few days or make my nails nice and smooth *grin*)

          • lawiser@att.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
              Jim Hart wrote:
              "I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools."

              Maybe even more. IMO we tend to be more careful around power tools than hand tools.

              Lia

            • Colleen Vince
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                Worst injury I have had was with an axe, the most painful with a drill press w/mortising attachment (ripped a finger nail clear out of the finger), most common are small nicks with the chisels, most annoying is glueing my fingers together with cyanoacrylate glue (happens depressingly often).

                --
                Mary Ostler
                Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                  My wife, the ER nurse, who has not done a scientific study, but formed a visceral impression sez:

                  “I see more injuries from hand tools. But those tend to involve stitches or splints.  When I DO see power tool injuries, they are more often amputations.”

                  Will

                  "I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools."

                  Maybe even more. IMO we tend to be more careful around power tools than hand tools.

                  Lia

                • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                    Sounds logical to me…

                    Power tools, we are more careful with them (less injuries), cause they have more power, therefore greater injuries…

                    Hands tools, we are almost careless with them (more injuries), cause they have less power, therefore cause minor injuries…

                    Seigneur Robert du Bourg

                    bobby.bourgoin@...

                    Bobby Bourgoin

                    If I sing a song, will you sing along, or should I just keep singing right here by myself?

                    If I tell you I’m strong, will you play along, or will you see I’m as insecure as anybody else?

                    If I follow along, does it mean I belong, or will I keep on feeling different from everybody else?

                                                                                            Sing Along – Blue Man Group

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                      I use a combination of both, and it has been the hand tools that get me the most wounds. I think some of t comes from having to provide the motive power and the guidance.
                      With the power tools I provide the guidance only. With power saw, remember a good blade like a 80 tooth Freud Diablo will make your inexpensive craftsman circular saw work like
                      it is a contractor grade. Any saw you buy that comes with a blade, toss the blade, and buy a good one. It will cut your sanding time down too.

                      Evil is, as Evil does

                      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                    • conradh@efn.org
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                        On Tue, January 11, 2011 5:44 am, Jim Hart wrote:
                        > I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools.

                        Even mutilation is possible. I cut my thumb half off with a handsaw once!
                        (A setup collapsed when I was sawing out a notch. The saw, the work, and
                        I all headed for the ground in a tangle, and the saw raked my thumb on the
                        way down. Completely out of control.)

                        Traditional adze work, where you strike just below your own foot, and hold
                        the rising chip down with your toes to prevent tearout, has a potential
                        for wounds that rivals a lot of power tools. Any kind of ax work, unless
                        you make sure that no possible glance or breakout can sink the ax into
                        meat, can be impressively bloody.

                        OTOH, should the worst happen, the scars and mutilations are _authentic_.
                        One of my biggest pleasures in hand tool woodworking is no worries about
                        noise and fine dust. Except with a springpole lathe, you don't have to
                        worry about cutting your own power cord.

                        And, hand or power, the most important safety device is your brain. Don't
                        let yours turn off!

                        Ulfhedinn
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                          Yeah – and your brain is what turns off first when you’re tired.

                          Don’t woodwork tired.  It leads to injury.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                            I agree. Its why I play video games after my son goes to bed at 9pm instead of heading into the shop. I WANT to head into the shop. But i know I'm too tired.

                            Siegfried

                            On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:44 PM, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                            Yeah – and your brain is what turns off first when you’re tired.

                            Don’t woodwork tired.  It leads to injury.

                            Will

                            On Tue, January 11, 2011 5:44 am, Jim Hart wrote:
                            > I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools.

                            Even mutilation is possible. I cut my thumb half off with a handsaw once!
                            (A setup collapsed when I was sawing out a notch. The saw, the work, and
                            I all headed for the ground in a tangle, and the saw raked my thumb on the
                            way down. Completely out of control.)

                            Traditional adze work, where you strike just below your own foot, and hold
                            the rising chip down with your toes to prevent tearout, has a potential
                            for wounds that rivals a lot of power tools. Any kind of ax work, unless
                            you make sure that no possible glance or breakout can sink the ax into
                            meat, can be impressively bloody.

                            OTOH, should the worst happen, the scars and mutilations are _authentic_.
                            One of my biggest pleasures in hand tool woodworking is no worries about
                            noise and fine dust. Except with a springpole lathe, you don't have to
                            worry about cutting your own power cord.

                            And, hand or power, the most important safety device is your brain. Don't
                            let yours turn off!

                            Ulfhedinn

                          • kelly O'Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                              Hi All,

                              I'm Kelly and hale from the Shire of Heychister. I'm an apprentice wooden boat builder in Mundaina, and have learn to have a no important desion after 4:30 rule becasue of the tiredness factor. I've manged to do really good smeg up because of this. Some of my best injurys have been with my Japanees saw. It slip one time while I was triming the inwhale and took a gouge out of my thumb.

                              The SCA realted progect I'm working on is the knif for my feast gear. There are some really nice ascpets to it like how the blade is shaped and a nice long tang but the handle is a piece of junk so I've descided too go Frankenstien on it and make a better looking one out of wood. I've got oak for it, is that accptable as a wood?

                              Kelly