Re: [MedievalSawdust] Making a Medieval Loom (or Spinning Wheel)?

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

      > before? Has anyone built an authentic replica of a period loom before?
      > (15thC preferred) Does anyone have any pictures, books, plans, drawings,
      > concepts, or off-the wall hallucinations about building a period loom
      > that they would want to share? Does anyone think building a loom from
      > scratch is an incredibly silly idea? Does anyone think it would be
      > easier to build a spinning wheel instead?

      There's a Home Textile Tool Museum up in Orwell, PA that has a bunch
      of colonial era and later looms. Not medieval, but a lot older than
      one usually sees. These are massive looms made for weaving coverlets
      and such. Here is the museum website:
      http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/ . There is also a lovely old
      woodshop there that has a treadle lathe you might want to look at.

      My impression when I visited the museum was that it was underfunded
      and run by volunteers. If I were you, I would call ahead and try to
      make sure that the day you go there are guides there knowledgeable in
      the areas you are particularly interested in.

      Scolastica

      --
      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
        Here are some interesting illustrations from:
        Kaminska, Janina, and Adam Nahlik. Wlókiennictwo
        Gdanskie w X-XIII wieku. 1958. 261 p. illus.
        (part col.) 24 cm. OCLC Number: 4794324, etc.
        Summary in French and Russian
        http://www.worldcat.org/title/wokiennictwo-gdanskie-w-x-xiii-wieku/oclc/4794324
        ebook http://books.google.com/books?id=ri0ZAAAAIAAJ
        images http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/index.htm

        especially
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc38_jpg.htm
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc39_jpg.htm
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc12_jpg.htm
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc13_jpg.htm
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc13a_jpg.htm

        Beth

        At 10:36 AM 1/4/2011, you wrote:
        >On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Sean Powell
        ><<mailto:powell.sean%40comcast.net>powell.sean@...> wrote:
        >
        > > before? Has anyone built an authentic replica of a period loom before?
        > > (15thC preferred) Does anyone have any pictures, books, plans, drawings,
        > > concepts, or off-the wall hallucinations about building a period loom
        > > that they would want to share? Does anyone think building a loom from
        > > scratch is an incredibly silly idea? Does anyone think it would be
        > > easier to build a spinning wheel instead?
        >
        >There's a Home Textile Tool Museum up in Orwell, PA that has a bunch
        >of colonial era and later looms. Not medieval, but a lot older than
        >one usually sees. These are massive looms made for weaving coverlets
        >and such. Here is the museum website:
        ><http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/>http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/
        >. There is also a lovely old
        >woodshop there that has a treadle lathe you might want to look at.
        >
        >My impression when I visited the museum was that it was underfunded
        >and run by volunteers. If I were you, I would call ahead and try to
        >make sure that the day you go there are guides there knowledgeable in
        >the areas you are particularly interested in.
        >
        >Scolastica
      • D. Young
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
          Im not usually one for machines but am working on my kitchen renovation so routers do come in handy...and I stumbled across these

          http://www.infinitytools.com/17th-Century-Molding-Router-Bits/products/1421/

               Custom Commissions Welcome....!

          www.partsandtechnical.com