Re: [MedievalSawdust] Making a Medieval Loom (or Spinning Wheel)?

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

      <snip>
      >     Spinning wheels are surprisingly sophisticated, especially the ones
      > with 'scotch action' or whatever that use friction to pull in the woven
      > thread and many of those parts need to be built on a lathe which I don't
      > own.
      <snip>

      That's Scotch tension, If you are thinking of making a PERIOD spinning
      wheel, you've got quite a bit of research ahead of you. I've been
      doing research on them for several years, though of course I don't
      have a woodworker's eye.

      Scolastica
      --
      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
        On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

        > before? Has anyone built an authentic replica of a period loom before?
        > (15thC preferred) Does anyone have any pictures, books, plans, drawings,
        > concepts, or off-the wall hallucinations about building a period loom
        > that they would want to share? Does anyone think building a loom from
        > scratch is an incredibly silly idea? Does anyone think it would be
        > easier to build a spinning wheel instead?

        There's a Home Textile Tool Museum up in Orwell, PA that has a bunch
        of colonial era and later looms. Not medieval, but a lot older than
        one usually sees. These are massive looms made for weaving coverlets
        and such. Here is the museum website:
        http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/ . There is also a lovely old
        woodshop there that has a treadle lathe you might want to look at.

        My impression when I visited the museum was that it was underfunded
        and run by volunteers. If I were you, I would call ahead and try to
        make sure that the day you go there are guides there knowledgeable in
        the areas you are particularly interested in.

        Scolastica

        --
        If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
        'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz
      • Beth & Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
          Here are some interesting illustrations from:
          Kaminska, Janina, and Adam Nahlik. Wlókiennictwo
          Gdanskie w X-XIII wieku. 1958. 261 p. illus.
          (part col.) 24 cm. OCLC Number: 4794324, etc.
          Summary in French and Russian
          http://www.worldcat.org/title/wokiennictwo-gdanskie-w-x-xiii-wieku/oclc/4794324
          ebook http://books.google.com/books?id=ri0ZAAAAIAAJ
          images http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/index.htm

          especially
          http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc38_jpg.htm
          http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc39_jpg.htm
          http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc12_jpg.htm
          http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc13_jpg.htm
          http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/gdansk/pages/ryc13a_jpg.htm

          Beth

          At 10:36 AM 1/4/2011, you wrote:
          >On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Sean Powell
          ><<mailto:powell.sean%40comcast.net>powell.sean@...> wrote:
          >
          > > before? Has anyone built an authentic replica of a period loom before?
          > > (15thC preferred) Does anyone have any pictures, books, plans, drawings,
          > > concepts, or off-the wall hallucinations about building a period loom
          > > that they would want to share? Does anyone think building a loom from
          > > scratch is an incredibly silly idea? Does anyone think it would be
          > > easier to build a spinning wheel instead?
          >
          >There's a Home Textile Tool Museum up in Orwell, PA that has a bunch
          >of colonial era and later looms. Not medieval, but a lot older than
          >one usually sees. These are massive looms made for weaving coverlets
          >and such. Here is the museum website:
          ><http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/>http://www.hometextiletoolmuseum.org/
          >. There is also a lovely old
          >woodshop there that has a treadle lathe you might want to look at.
          >
          >My impression when I visited the museum was that it was underfunded
          >and run by volunteers. If I were you, I would call ahead and try to
          >make sure that the day you go there are guides there knowledgeable in
          >the areas you are particularly interested in.
          >
          >Scolastica
        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
            Im not usually one for machines but am working on my kitchen renovation so routers do come in handy...and I stumbled across these

            http://www.infinitytools.com/17th-Century-Molding-Router-Bits/products/1421/

                 Custom Commissions Welcome....!

            www.partsandtechnical.com