Re: [MedievalSawdust] Decisions decisions...

  • Megan Shogren
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 3, 2011
      Depending on how fiddly you think you'll get (for me, the answer is "very"), a scroll saw might be a good addition.  It doesn't take as thick material as a bandsaw, but makes much tighter curves and you can start the blade in the middle of the piece through a tiny drilled hole.  If shop space is at a premium, it's also easier to store than a full-sized bandsaw.  They also tend to be cheaper, and the blades are way easier to calibrate and change.  Nor do you have to worry about them taking your finger off- there's a reason a scroll saw was my first power tool at age 7.  YMMV, but I'd personally rather have (and do have) a floor bandsaw for the big stuff and the scroll saw for detail work instead of a benchtop bandsaw with its very limited throat depth.

      If you're looking at the Sears router/tables, think about how much horsepower you're going to need.  My husband and I got one of the cheaper Craftsman ones, and while it's fine for light stuff, he's been informed by another local woodworker that he really needs one much more powerful as well.  I know an enabler when I hear one (after all, I am MOAS of my local group), but he's right- the little one just doesn't have the torque to do some of the heavy plywood stuff.

      A drill press is another good idea, but again, see if you can get a floor-mount one- that extra throat depth makes a huge difference, and generally the motors are heavier-duty.

      -Kat Ferneley

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 3, 2011
        Clearly you do not have enough cordless drills. As I heard on the CarTalk Men's Christmas Gift episode, when in doubt about what gift to get a man, you can always rely on getting them a cordless drill.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 4, 2011
          While the next tool on my list would be a drill press, I would go for a floor model not the table top.  It's going to have a better motor and more throat space for bigger projects.

          Also consider making some jigs to make you current tools more versatile.  I use my table saw for raised panels,   Fairly simple and low cost.  a bit more sanding then you would get with a router/shaper.  You can find free plans for shop built jigs all over the internet, as well as some decent books on the subject.  Jigs give a small shop a  heck of a lot more versatility especially if you don't have a lot of floor space.

           I don't know if Craftsman makes a tenoning jig, but they are quite a time saver.  One of the only store bought jigs I have

          And I wouldn't recommend the brisket cutter for a router.  have you ever done spline jointing?  Only takes a tablesaw (ok for the purists out there it takes a couple of block planes, but a table saw works with a tall fence.  http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/SplinedEdgeJointTip.php

          -Rhys

          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

          The tool I would personally add to this list is a table-top drill press. You can replace a doweling jig with a drill-press if you are careful with your marking. You can use it for blind mortise holes and you can push a lot more continuous torque out of them then a cordless drill. If you need to and don't value your bearings overly much you can use them as a drum-sander and in an emergency as a lathe for small bits that fit in the chuck. (usual precautions and then some for this stuff)

          Sean

          --
          ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 4, 2011
            You buy hand tools

            Power tools make grasshoppper weak.

                 Custom Commissions Welcome....!

            www.partsandtechnical.com

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 4, 2011
              In my experience (standard disclaimer applies: YMMV), power tools make grasshopper go through boxes of BandAdes faster, too!

              On a more serious note, if "I" had the money to throw at it I'd seriously look a good, ultra-heavy-duty, higher-than-contractor-grade circular saw - preferably worm-drive. I just seem to "steer" them better.

              Although.....I've had need for a good, floor-sized band-saw and/or drill press on occasion. If space wasn't at such a premium here, I'd probably be looking at one of them, too.

            • conradh@efn.org
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 5, 2011
                On Tue, January 4, 2011 4:24 am, Dan Baker wrote:
                > While the next tool on my list would be a drill press, I would go for a
                > floor model not the table top. It's going to have a better motor and more
                > throat space for bigger projects.

                I have a Rockwell radial drill press, tabletop model but on a stand. I
                can slide the boom out to the point where I can drill the center of a 36
                inch circle, swing the head out to where I can clear the whole stand and
                drill something four feet tall that's sitting on the floor. The head also
                tilts and locks at any angle.

                It's fairly rigid for all that; with the boom all the way in I've put an
                end mill in it and milled aluminum successfully, with hand feed. As the
                boom is extended of course there's more play.

                I bought this new, and I've used it hard for almost thirty years. I've
                worn out three motors--but this costs nothing because it takes 1/2 horse
                motors from toploader washing machines. Unlike most other appliances,
                this sort of washer uses a motor with thrust bearings so it can run with a
                vertical shaft, which is what you need for a radial drill. When a washing
                machine conks out, it's usually the transmission or the timer switch or
                the pump; the motor is usually fine.

                So I'm really happy with this machine, and would recommend it highly. I'm
                not sure if they're still made, but I know someone who's using one that's
                almost fifty years old, so a used one could be still in decent shape.
                They were really well made.

                Ulfhedinn
              • Jim Hart

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Personally I've had far more band-aid moments with my hand tools. A
                    knife slipping and cutting me. A saw binding. A saw popping through
                    and doing bad things to me.

                    Or heck, just picking them up wrong when they are razor sharp.

                    However, they have all been band-aid moments, not Emergency Room
                    moments. (Well except that one time when I was cutting a leather strap
                    with a knife, and the knife popping out of the strip and sliced a 4"
                    long gash above my knee.)

                    I've only had one incident with a power tool, and it was NOT a band-aid
                    situation. It was a get to the hospital ASAP (running my finger through
                    a router bit).

                    I would expect any power tool incident to be a 'hospital' trip. And
                    hand tools to primariy be just bandaids.

                    Siegfried

                    (Wait, do I have to include random 'hitting my hand on the disk sander'
                    incidents? Cause they don't hurt, just remove the fingerprints for a
                    few days or make my nails nice and smooth *grin*)

                  • lawiser@att.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                      Jim Hart wrote:
                      "I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools."

                      Maybe even more. IMO we tend to be more careful around power tools than hand tools.

                      Lia

                    • Colleen Vince
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                        Worst injury I have had was with an axe, the most painful with a drill press w/mortising attachment (ripped a finger nail clear out of the finger), most common are small nicks with the chisels, most annoying is glueing my fingers together with cyanoacrylate glue (happens depressingly often).

                        --
                        Mary Ostler
                        Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                          My wife, the ER nurse, who has not done a scientific study, but formed a visceral impression sez:

                          “I see more injuries from hand tools. But those tend to involve stitches or splints.  When I DO see power tool injuries, they are more often amputations.”

                          Will

                          "I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools."

                          Maybe even more. IMO we tend to be more careful around power tools than hand tools.

                          Lia

                        • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                            Sounds logical to me…

                            Power tools, we are more careful with them (less injuries), cause they have more power, therefore greater injuries…

                            Hands tools, we are almost careless with them (more injuries), cause they have less power, therefore cause minor injuries…

                            Seigneur Robert du Bourg

                            bobby.bourgoin@...

                            Bobby Bourgoin

                            If I sing a song, will you sing along, or should I just keep singing right here by myself?

                            If I tell you I’m strong, will you play along, or will you see I’m as insecure as anybody else?

                            If I follow along, does it mean I belong, or will I keep on feeling different from everybody else?

                                                                                                    Sing Along – Blue Man Group

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                              I use a combination of both, and it has been the hand tools that get me the most wounds. I think some of t comes from having to provide the motive power and the guidance.
                              With the power tools I provide the guidance only. With power saw, remember a good blade like a 80 tooth Freud Diablo will make your inexpensive craftsman circular saw work like
                              it is a contractor grade. Any saw you buy that comes with a blade, toss the blade, and buy a good one. It will cut your sanding time down too.

                              Evil is, as Evil does

                              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                            • conradh@efn.org
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                                On Tue, January 11, 2011 5:44 am, Jim Hart wrote:
                                > I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools.

                                Even mutilation is possible. I cut my thumb half off with a handsaw once!
                                (A setup collapsed when I was sawing out a notch. The saw, the work, and
                                I all headed for the ground in a tangle, and the saw raked my thumb on the
                                way down. Completely out of control.)

                                Traditional adze work, where you strike just below your own foot, and hold
                                the rising chip down with your toes to prevent tearout, has a potential
                                for wounds that rivals a lot of power tools. Any kind of ax work, unless
                                you make sure that no possible glance or breakout can sink the ax into
                                meat, can be impressively bloody.

                                OTOH, should the worst happen, the scars and mutilations are _authentic_.
                                One of my biggest pleasures in hand tool woodworking is no worries about
                                noise and fine dust. Except with a springpole lathe, you don't have to
                                worry about cutting your own power cord.

                                And, hand or power, the most important safety device is your brain. Don't
                                let yours turn off!

                                Ulfhedinn
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011

                                  Yeah – and your brain is what turns off first when you’re tired.

                                  Don’t woodwork tired.  It leads to injury.

                                  Will

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                                    I agree. Its why I play video games after my son goes to bed at 9pm instead of heading into the shop. I WANT to head into the shop. But i know I'm too tired.

                                    Siegfried

                                    On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:44 PM, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                                    Yeah – and your brain is what turns off first when you’re tired.

                                    Don’t woodwork tired.  It leads to injury.

                                    Will

                                    On Tue, January 11, 2011 5:44 am, Jim Hart wrote:
                                    > I've had just as many band-aid moments with hand tools.

                                    Even mutilation is possible. I cut my thumb half off with a handsaw once!
                                    (A setup collapsed when I was sawing out a notch. The saw, the work, and
                                    I all headed for the ground in a tangle, and the saw raked my thumb on the
                                    way down. Completely out of control.)

                                    Traditional adze work, where you strike just below your own foot, and hold
                                    the rising chip down with your toes to prevent tearout, has a potential
                                    for wounds that rivals a lot of power tools. Any kind of ax work, unless
                                    you make sure that no possible glance or breakout can sink the ax into
                                    meat, can be impressively bloody.

                                    OTOH, should the worst happen, the scars and mutilations are _authentic_.
                                    One of my biggest pleasures in hand tool woodworking is no worries about
                                    noise and fine dust. Except with a springpole lathe, you don't have to
                                    worry about cutting your own power cord.

                                    And, hand or power, the most important safety device is your brain. Don't
                                    let yours turn off!

                                    Ulfhedinn

                                  • kelly O'Sullivan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 11, 2011
                                      Hi All,

                                      I'm Kelly and hale from the Shire of Heychister. I'm an apprentice wooden boat builder in Mundaina, and have learn to have a no important desion after 4:30 rule becasue of the tiredness factor. I've manged to do really good smeg up because of this. Some of my best injurys have been with my Japanees saw. It slip one time while I was triming the inwhale and took a gouge out of my thumb.

                                      The SCA realted progect I'm working on is the knif for my feast gear. There are some really nice ascpets to it like how the blade is shaped and a nice long tang but the handle is a piece of junk so I've descided too go Frankenstien on it and make a better looking one out of wood. I've got oak for it, is that accptable as a wood?

                                      Kelly