So, Conal's been hacked again?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
        It is still...... sorry 10 hour work days.... I have not switched over to a new
        address..... all the hassles of changing everything that uses that email address
        to link me to it have to be changed......

          Not ripping on you, really & seriously. I admire that you have ANY time to put towards moderating this circus. ;)

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
            I'm just annoyed with the spammers.... not you

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
              On that note.....

              Jim, assuming you've done the whole "change Yahoo password" thing, I'm not so sure it's a case of being hacked, as being spoofed.

              I pulled up the full headers on the spam email, and the originating IP was some Balkan country - Romania, I think.

              Lee

              ________________________________
              From: Jeffrey Johnson <jljonsn@...>

              Not ripping on you, really & seriously. I admire that you have ANY time to put
              towards moderating this circus. ;)

              Jeff

              <snip>
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
                Since it looks like they have my contact list.....

                and I am pretty sure I'm clean ( brand new PC ) of spyware
                and fairly sure I was clean before hand ( good spyware/firewall
                programs )

                I'm thinking they hacked in somehow.

                How else would they get the contacts?

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
                  I don't have the latest spam email to the list, but if you've cleaned up your PC and operating system, they probably have the userid and passwd of the email account that sends the stuff.  They may have collected that from your computer along with your contacts list, depending on which email client you use and whether that account is with an ISP or a web-mail service.  If you haven't already, change the password on the "hacked" email account with whichever service it uses.  Also change the "Mother's Maiden Name" or whatever you use to verify changing the password and any email account to which notification of changes is sent.  If you tried changing the password first and the bad guys still had your account - they probably used that mechanism to get back into the account.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
                    the spam emails are not showing up in the account's sent mail folder.

                    but Facebook sent me an email that said someone tried to access my
                    facebook account from Nigeria......They stopped that attempt.....

                  • Jack Needles

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 13, 2010
                        Yes.  Conal's emails are apparently sent to standard email addresses.  If those individuals received the spam in Conal's name, then it had to be sent via SMTP or by signing in to a web-mail account.  Both of those messages require a userid and passwd (strictly speaking, SMTP does not - but if it doesn't then it is an open mail relay which is pretty much untrusted in the current Internet).

                        Emails get into one's "Sent" folder because the email client (LookOut - either Office or Express, Thunderbird, web-mail, or whatever) puts the mail into the folder when one sends it via the client.  If the email is sent from someone else's email client using one's userid and passwd - there is no copy to the "Sent" folder.