RE: DUH! RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: 6 board chest (antique discovery..or confirmation) + Thoughts on forum)

    Message 1 of 101 , Dec 1, 2010

      Actually, guild restrictions are evidence that things WERE done.  People don’t make rules banning stuff, unless someone is doing it.

      Will

      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of D. Young

      I also do not hold guild restrictions in terribly high regard.....the reality is that we have just too much evidence that shops practiced inter-disciplinary work, particularly if something was going directly to a private client.....why would the client care if a boarded chest had a little joinery to hold the box together better?

      Drew

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: furnaceplans@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:01:36 -0500
      Subject: RE: DUH! RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: 6 board chest (antique discovery..or confirmation) + Thoughts on forum)

      In a forum you can upload directly to the thread.

      And people dont have to go hunting around to find your photos.

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: wolfeyes@...
      Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:55:37 -0800

      --- furnaceplans@... wrote:

      > Pics coming soon. (another reason for easy use of a forum).

      Yeah, we get it. You want pitchers.

      1.) I'd like to direct your attention to the "Photos" section. Knock yerself out.
      2.) As has already been mentioned, feel free to open an account on Flickr, or PhotoBucket, or any one of a dozen other sites. Post the link here, in your reply. "Tab A goes into Slot A, see http://www.somephotoplace.com/myaccount/slot_tab_A.jpg"
      3.) Just on the assumption that you have a home ISP, there's a pretty good chance that said ISP account comes with available web-space. FTP your pics there, and resort to the method in #2. If you don't have the web-space, feel free to email me the pics and I'll post them on mine - I've got two ISP accounts, and I'm not using the web-space from either one.
      (consider this "3a.)" - it's been years since I checked, are there still free web-hosting sites a-la GeoCities, or did the "merger madness" do them all in?)

      You're trying *really* hard to convince us that we've been doing it wrong all along - at least, that's the impression "I" get. Being on a number of email lists AND forums, I was on the fence when the subject was first brought up. But as far as I'm concerned, your "no disrepect" was *highly* disrespectful, especially the crack about 70's and 80's technology. I and many others on this list are running (or capable of running) any level of technology from a Commodore64 to the bloodiest of "bleeding edge" Linux. So nobody's "holding us back" because of old hardware or software. That particular argument is utterly irrelevant, and I daresay the vast majority of us have been using computers long enough that the "gee-whiz" factor of bells, whistles, and fancy blinkenliten pales in comparison to real, digestible content.

      The list as it is works fine for me, I see no need to change for change's sake. I haven't had a problem with the Photos section, nor have I had a problem with outside photo sites - just ask the folks on the Coleman forum who have had to put up with my various and sundry "gloats"!

      Lee

      Message 101 of 101 , Dec 12, 2010

        Odds are, Brendon is not talking to me.

        From: furnaceplans@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:42:02 -0500

        "Surprisingly, many common woodworking techniques were not as ubiquitous as one might think throughout SCA time. There are often subtle differences that can help identify a specific time, region or culture for a piece."

        --I agree with this absolutely.

        My angle was that it can be tricky to weed out later repairs from period construction.   As a good example my 1640 chest has screws in the hinges.   Some antique dealers feel the use of screws indicates a repair or replacement of the rivets as screws were not widely used until the 18th century.   However I have found more than ample evidence in wooden pieces from the 1500s such as gun powder horns, and screws and bolts were used on armour since at least the 15th century, so clearly screwed technology (ahem) was around.

        Now the point here is that screw drivers were not as common, and so removing a screw was not quite as easy simple as it is now.   Ive seen screws over lock plates to that very end, suggesting that a technique we deem as commonplace or anachronistic may have been employed.

        Another example is ring hinges.....these drive me crazy because we see them on well made joyed boxes with heavy carving....clearly an expensive chest.....yet using a very primitive type of hinge.   I have theorized the ring hinge may have something to do with green wood furniture not yet having "settled" into place....or possibly just a vogue in something retro....whats old is new is a reoccuring theme we do see at least in the Renaissance period (heck the very word means rebirth).    So while we see viking chests like the Mastermyr chest with ring hinges that seems to fit with that era, we also know standered barrel hinges were used as well.    And because of that duality I cannot, at least right now, see any clear pattern or reasoning for why some pieces used barrel hinges and why some used ring hinges or gimlets.

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: ewdysar@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:03:47 +0000
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Guild restrictions

        I believe that the point that was trying to be made with guild restriction was not about who might or might not be doing the work. I think that guild restriction were being used as proof of accepted techniques. If the guild restricited a given technique's use, then it was obviously a common or accepted technique for that time period and location.

        Since this group is interested specifically when and where certain techniques were used, this can be good information. I'll throw out a topic that comes up now and again as an example.

        Is dovetail joinery correct for 10th century Britain? This question immediately falls to finding the earliest extant example of dovetail joinery from the area. I know that there are extant examples of sliding dovetails in Norse woodworking finds (various box lids), but I have yet to see an example of pin and tail dovetails in any Norse chest. Some 90 deg lap joints have an angled shoulder, but I don't really consider that to be dovetailed.

        Surprisingly, many common woodworking techniques were not as ubiquitous as one might think throughout SCA time. There are often subtle differences that can help identify a specific time, region or culture for a piece.

        Eirikr