Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: thoughts on forum

  • Jim Looper
    Message 1 of 122 , Nov 30, 2010

      Personally, I believe the forums idea has merit. However, and I will put it bluntly, you are coming across as a jerk. I am not saying that you are a jerk, you may even be a wonderful person, but right now, we are seeing jerkish behaviour from you. Which makes me wonder if you are just being a troll for the sake of it...

       I am glad that you are passionate about forums. You should run with that. Create one. Set it up however you wish. Heck, I'll swing by and check it out. If I believe it will be useful to me, I will sign up.

      However, I will stay a member of this list; even if I am not the most active.

      And please, everyone, trim the posts.

      Lucien

      I do not count as a credible source.

      Message 122 of 122 , Dec 2, 2010
        >Jay Close, a Colonial Williamsburg-trained blacksmith, forged out a
        center-bit at a recent demonstration at Fort Vancouver (Hudson's Bay Co recreation site (ca. 1840) in Vancouver, WA, USA). He just used hammer and anvil - and some files to sharpen the pike, finish shaping and sharpen the nicker, and sharpen the router. Jay's reproduction had a plain, pointed center-pike and not the threaded pike of the picture.

        >Actually the picture on the history.org site is the first center-bit I have seen that has a threaded pike.
        >
         >-Malcolm

        And I think that may be the trick - the year. Prior to 1840 no one had figured out how to accurately and consistently put a screw thread on a pointed cone. Metal screws were available before then, but getting the reducing spiral made consistently hadn't been figured out. It was sometime in 1840's (source: the master woodworker at New Salem, NC) that pointed ended bits were finally possible.
        That being said, you can cut a threaded pike with a small file. I doubt for demonstration purposes he'd have spent the additional hours to file the threads, because that wouldn't be exactly entertaining.
        That, and with the router, the purpose of the threaded bit is rather superfluous. Threading the pike causes the tool to "pull down" as it is twisted, meaning that very little energy is needed to push the bit through the wood. The curved slope of the router does the same thing as it shaves out the waste. It's not as strong a pull, because some of that pull energy is used to push up the cut out wood, but it does the same task as the threaded pike.

        Vels