RE: [MedievalSawdust] scrapers

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
      On Mon, November 22, 2010 5:40 pm, D. Young wrote:

      > I have to back Jeff here on ceramics or glass. Yes modern ceramics are
      > insanely sharp but its hard to sharpen period stuff.
      >
      > Iron and steel in small quantities were so plentiful as to be a no
      > brainer here. There is no question in my mind.
      >
      > Matter of fact i recommend doing research on coopering tools....they used
      > drawknives called chamfer knives that are nothing more than metal
      > scrapers with handles.
      >
      > Sort of looks like a drawknive with a big bucktooth. Ie, a scraper if
      > held at a higher angle....a plane if held lower.

      Good thought. Though between the guild system, concern over trade
      secrets, and generally slow communication, things like that could take a
      long time to spread, say from coopers to joiners.

      Another "bucktoothed drawknife" is the molding iron from the Mastermyr
      find. It too seems to have been high angle, a big scratch stock really.

      Ulfhedinn