Re: [medievalsawdust] Cool site...

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
      Wait a minnit.... That's just Nichael Cramer referring to Pat Leach's website. I shoulda checked more closely. Mea Culpa.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
      Stealth #97
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
        Greetings All,

        For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
        of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
        Raeburn.

        I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in
        November and would very much like appraisal and
        suggestions fo my work. I've posted pictures at the
        following link;

        The maru dai stands 17" tall and is 6 3/8 inches
        sqaure at it's square base. The circular and square
        bases are cherry, the connecting dowels are red &
        white oak set checkered, and the screw plugs for the
        dowels are black walnut.

        Thanks in advance,

        Dunstan

      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the bobbins to go with it as well???

          Chas.
        • Rob Hicks
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hello Master Oakley

            We're working on securing a lathe, but for this piece,
            I just constructed 8 bobbins from spools and flat
            glass marbles purchased from Hobby Lobby.

            -Dunstan

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
              ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

              -Dunstan
              --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
              > Hey Dunstan - nice piece... did you turn the
              > bobbins to go with it as well???
              >
              > Chas.

            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                Nice improv !!!

                ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

                -Dunstan
                --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                > Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the
                > bobbins to go with it as well???
                >
                > Chas.

              • Tim Bray
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                  >For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
                  >of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
                  >Raeburn.

                  Welcome, Dunstan! I had the pleasure of meeting Hal at Pennsic this year
                  and enjoyed a good conversation with him.

                  >I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in

                  OK, I have no idea what that is... Can you tell me something about the
                  culture and period, and the use of this object?

                  >the connecting dowels are red &
                  >white oak set checkered,

                  I don't quite follow what this means... do you have any photos showing this
                  detail?

                  > and the screw plugs for the
                  >dowels are black walnut.

                  Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional European joint for
                  something like this would be a wedged through-tenon, like you see on
                  staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a non-European object then I have no
                  idea what would be traditional.

                  Cheers,
                  Colin

                  Albion Works
                  Furniture and Accessories
                  For the Medievalist!
                  http://www.albionworks.net
                  http://www.albionworks.com
                • Rob Hicks
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                    > OK, I have no idea what [a maru dai] is... Can you
                    tell me something about the culture and period, and
                    the use of this object?

                    Glad to;
                    The maru dai is a period japanese wooden tool used to
                    make kumihimo (japanese cord). kumihimo cord was used
                    by samurais to lace their lamallar armor and decorate
                    their swords.

                    >the connecting dowels are red & white oak set
                    checkered.
                    By this I mean that 4 dowels connect the two bases,
                    one round base, one square base. By checkered I
                    mean....
                    RO WO
                    WO RO

                    > I don't quite follow what this means... do you have
                    > any photos showing this
                    > detail?

                    Just the link.

                    > > and the screw plugs for the
                    > >dowels are black walnut.
                    >
                    > Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional
                    > European joint for
                    > something like this would be a wedged through-tenon,
                    > like you see on
                    > staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a
                    > non-European object then I have no
                    > idea what would be traditional.

                    I would imagine a wedge tenon is period, but more
                    likely the dowels were secured with a simple hide
                    glue.
                    Since I need to research this aspect more, I'm really
                    guessing.
                    Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                    I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                    customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                    high quality.

                    -Dunstan

                  • Tim Bray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Thanks for the added information, Dunstan. I've now learned one thing
                      today and can therefore go back to bed :-D

                      >Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                      >I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                      >customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                      >high quality.

                      You didn't have any trouble with the screws pulling out of that end-grain,
                      then? I did something similar once and had to be very careful not to
                      over-tighten them or they would strip out. That was in red oak.

                      Cheers,
                      Colin

                      Albion Works
                      Furniture and Accessories
                      For the Medievalist!
                      http://www.albionworks.net
                      http://www.albionworks.com
                    • Dunstan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Colin,

                        What I did to solve that problem was to pre-drill my holes so that
                        the core (not the thread) was empty space. This in turn helps the
                        oak and brass play nicely.

                        -Dunstan