Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: "overengineering "

  • W. Roberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
      Heh, funny ("funny" as in "unique, different", not "funny" as in "ha-ha").

      Maybe I grew up reading too many books from t'other side o' the pond, but the way I read it was more along the lines of "research and learn X, continue researching and learn Y which is a newer study of X, revise opinion of X, repeat as needed"

      As for the "conspicuous consumption" aspect of 4-legged chairs, that certainly makes sense to me. And, I think that's what I was getting around to with my "conservation of resources" post, in a round-about way. :-)

      Regarding the "expert"........I'm sorry to say that I've met WAY too many so-called amateurs who've known far more than the folks with alphabet soup at the ends of their names. Most of the highly-edjoomacated I've encountered couldn't find their derriere with both hands and a road-map - for some reason, "theory" seems to push "common sense" right out their ears.

      Now, if the expert had said that only royalty had _elevated_ chairs, that I'd buy - saw an example yesterday on Rick Steve's Europe! (yeah, great resource huh? Throne room of Christian IV, I think)

      Lee