Re: [medievalsawdust] Cool site...

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
      BETTER site, because of the humorous commentary:
      http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

      He LOVES the #55, the fiberboard planes and the transitionals, if you know what I mean.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
      Stealth #97
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
        Wait a minnit.... That's just Nichael Cramer referring to Pat Leach's website. I shoulda checked more closely. Mea Culpa.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
        Stealth #97
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
          Greetings All,

          For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
          of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
          Raeburn.

          I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in
          November and would very much like appraisal and
          suggestions fo my work. I've posted pictures at the
          following link;

          The maru dai stands 17" tall and is 6 3/8 inches
          sqaure at it's square base. The circular and square
          bases are cherry, the connecting dowels are red &
          white oak set checkered, and the screw plugs for the
          dowels are black walnut.

          Thanks in advance,

          Dunstan

        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the bobbins to go with it as well???

            Chas.
          • Rob Hicks
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
              Hello Master Oakley

              We're working on securing a lathe, but for this piece,
              I just constructed 8 bobbins from spools and flat
              glass marbles purchased from Hobby Lobby.

              -Dunstan

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

                -Dunstan
                --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                > Hey Dunstan - nice piece... did you turn the
                > bobbins to go with it as well???
                >
                > Chas.

              • James Winkler
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Nice improv !!!

                  ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

                  -Dunstan
                  --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                  > Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the
                  > bobbins to go with it as well???
                  >
                  > Chas.

                • Tim Bray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                    >For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
                    >of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
                    >Raeburn.

                    Welcome, Dunstan! I had the pleasure of meeting Hal at Pennsic this year
                    and enjoyed a good conversation with him.

                    >I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in

                    OK, I have no idea what that is... Can you tell me something about the
                    culture and period, and the use of this object?

                    >the connecting dowels are red &
                    >white oak set checkered,

                    I don't quite follow what this means... do you have any photos showing this
                    detail?

                    > and the screw plugs for the
                    >dowels are black walnut.

                    Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional European joint for
                    something like this would be a wedged through-tenon, like you see on
                    staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a non-European object then I have no
                    idea what would be traditional.

                    Cheers,
                    Colin

                    Albion Works
                    Furniture and Accessories
                    For the Medievalist!
                    http://www.albionworks.net
                    http://www.albionworks.com
                  • Rob Hicks
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                      > OK, I have no idea what [a maru dai] is... Can you
                      tell me something about the culture and period, and
                      the use of this object?

                      Glad to;
                      The maru dai is a period japanese wooden tool used to
                      make kumihimo (japanese cord). kumihimo cord was used
                      by samurais to lace their lamallar armor and decorate
                      their swords.

                      >the connecting dowels are red & white oak set
                      checkered.
                      By this I mean that 4 dowels connect the two bases,
                      one round base, one square base. By checkered I
                      mean....
                      RO WO
                      WO RO

                      > I don't quite follow what this means... do you have
                      > any photos showing this
                      > detail?

                      Just the link.

                      > > and the screw plugs for the
                      > >dowels are black walnut.
                      >
                      > Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional
                      > European joint for
                      > something like this would be a wedged through-tenon,
                      > like you see on
                      > staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a
                      > non-European object then I have no
                      > idea what would be traditional.

                      I would imagine a wedge tenon is period, but more
                      likely the dowels were secured with a simple hide
                      glue.
                      Since I need to research this aspect more, I'm really
                      guessing.
                      Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                      I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                      customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                      high quality.

                      -Dunstan

                    • Tim Bray
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Thanks for the added information, Dunstan. I've now learned one thing
                        today and can therefore go back to bed :-D

                        >Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                        >I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                        >customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                        >high quality.

                        You didn't have any trouble with the screws pulling out of that end-grain,
                        then? I did something similar once and had to be very careful not to
                        over-tighten them or they would strip out. That was in red oak.

                        Cheers,
                        Colin

                        Albion Works
                        Furniture and Accessories
                        For the Medievalist!
                        http://www.albionworks.net
                        http://www.albionworks.com
                      • Dunstan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Colin,

                          What I did to solve that problem was to pre-drill my holes so that
                          the core (not the thread) was empty space. This in turn helps the
                          oak and brass play nicely.

                          -Dunstan