Re: Chairs only for medieval Nobility? - was Am I overengineering this?

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010

      --- On Thu, 18/11/10, Isabelle LaFar <isabelle@...> wrote:
      SNIPPED
      Anyway, as for the professor with the stone-tablet verdict on chairs...I can't think of anywhere in Europe that would apply to. GOOD COMMENT SNIPPED FOR BREVITY
      My understanding (which may very well be flawed) is that the 3-legged triangle chairs were intended for the peasant class. SNIPPED

      COMMENT
      Nobles & Gentles All,
      I've been a serious amateur historian for most of my life, - and the Medieval Period was both my first Love, and  [at the age of 73yrs]. is likely to be my last Love as well. Re-enacting the medieval lifestyle in the European SCA has become an absorbing "Third Age" Hobby, and I've been doing a great deal of Revising over the last 10 years, to check modern developments, publications, and opinions concerning mnedieval lifestyle-details I first read-about decades ago.[ There's so much more data now available online, for a start,m and Museums digitise pictures of their collections, and excerpts from scholarly Papers also become available that way!]
      And - with that background, I have to agree with Lady Isabelle.
      However, I'd go further.
      I think the Professor's perception was "skewed"! Let's be kind and call it "tunnel vision".
      IMO, chairs were used by medieval Princes, Nobles, Guild Masters, and Heads-of-Households - [as distinct from benches and stools] - because they could AFFORD to Comission them from their local Wood Wrights. Their use was a "money & comfort thing" first, and a "social status thing" only by derivation thereafter.

      In Service to the medieval Dream,
      Matthewe Baker,
      "old Jersey".

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010

        Inter-cultural Language note for Mah Fellow Umercuns:  Julian (and other residents of the Mother Country) will say “Revise” where an American will say “study.”

        Will

        From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Julian Wilson

        I've been doing a great deal of Revising over the last 10 years, to check modern developments, publications, and opinions concerning mnedieval lifestyle-details I first read-about decades ago.[ There's so much more data now available online, for a start,m and Museums digitise pictures of their collections, and excerpts from scholarly Papers also become available that way!]

      • William
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
          As someone from a modern engineering & design background I say revise a LOT more than study...

          Corollory: Remember for every vision, there is an equal and opposite re-vision.

          Valentine Lyme

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

          > Inter-cultural Language note for Mah Fellow Umercuns: Julian (and other
          > residents of the Mother Country) will say "Revise" where an American will
          > say "study."
          >

          > Will
        • W. Roberts
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
            Heh, funny ("funny" as in "unique, different", not "funny" as in "ha-ha").

            Maybe I grew up reading too many books from t'other side o' the pond, but the way I read it was more along the lines of "research and learn X, continue researching and learn Y which is a newer study of X, revise opinion of X, repeat as needed"

            As for the "conspicuous consumption" aspect of 4-legged chairs, that certainly makes sense to me. And, I think that's what I was getting around to with my "conservation of resources" post, in a round-about way. :-)

            Regarding the "expert"........I'm sorry to say that I've met WAY too many so-called amateurs who've known far more than the folks with alphabet soup at the ends of their names. Most of the highly-edjoomacated I've encountered couldn't find their derriere with both hands and a road-map - for some reason, "theory" seems to push "common sense" right out their ears.

            Now, if the expert had said that only royalty had _elevated_ chairs, that I'd buy - saw an example yesterday on Rick Steve's Europe! (yeah, great resource huh? Throne room of Christian IV, I think)

            Lee