Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Am I overengineering this? Frame-and-panel feast gear chest

  • Isabelle LaFar
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 17, 2010
      Thanks for the link, I haven't seen that one in our local Northern Tool or Harbor Freight store. Believe me, I've looked! And it's a good capacity for what I need...that pavilion chest is easily 70 pounds when empty. Add a 20' round pavilion...well, you get the idea. I suppose I should post some photos somewhere other than facebook...lol
      I don't care whether it looks period or not--it will only be out when setting up & breaking down camp, and will be stored in the trailer when not in use.

      Anyway, as for the professor with stone-tablet verdict on chairs...I can't think of anywhere in Europe that would apply to. Maybe some Eastern cultures or in Africa where only royalty is allowed an elevated seat...I think I heard something about that once upon a time. But those were early tribes...
      From what I've seen, three-legged chairs (other than small stools, i.e. milking stools, etc.) did not seem to really be en vogue until Bruegel the Elder's time. My understanding (which may very well be flawed) is that the 3-legged triangle chairs were intended for the peasant class. I wonder if that's where that professor got that idea? But I'm not old enough to remember back that far, and if I were, I probably wouldn't remember it anyway. ;)

      --Isabelle