Cool site...

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2004
      O.k. - so somebody sez, "Oh... get yer'self a Stanley #S5... don't mess with the #5... make sure ya' get a #S5 and later shift to the #4.  Later use a #80 or a #83, if ya' can find one... there ya' are... one of finest finishes known to man..."  ... and you find yourself wondering what the heck all those numbers mean...

      ... allow me to refer all and and sundry to:  http://www.sover.net/~nichael/nlc-wood/stanref-num.html

      ... neat site... its got pictures too...

      Chas.
    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
        BETTER site, because of the humorous commentary:
        http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

        He LOVES the #55, the fiberboard planes and the transitionals, if you know what I mean.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
        Stealth #97
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
          Wait a minnit.... That's just Nichael Cramer referring to Pat Leach's website. I shoulda checked more closely. Mea Culpa.

          --
          -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
          Stealth #97
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
            Greetings All,

            For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
            of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
            Raeburn.

            I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in
            November and would very much like appraisal and
            suggestions fo my work. I've posted pictures at the
            following link;

            The maru dai stands 17" tall and is 6 3/8 inches
            sqaure at it's square base. The circular and square
            bases are cherry, the connecting dowels are red &
            white oak set checkered, and the screw plugs for the
            dowels are black walnut.

            Thanks in advance,

            Dunstan

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
              Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the bobbins to go with it as well???

              Chas.
            • Rob Hicks
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                Hello Master Oakley

                We're working on securing a lathe, but for this piece,
                I just constructed 8 bobbins from spools and flat
                glass marbles purchased from Hobby Lobby.

                -Dunstan

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                  ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

                  -Dunstan
                  --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                  > Hey Dunstan - nice piece... did you turn the
                  > bobbins to go with it as well???
                  >
                  > Chas.

                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Nice improv !!!

                    ... and the centerweight was a nut and string.

                    -Dunstan
                    --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                    > Hey Dunstan -  nice piece...  did you turn the
                    > bobbins to go with it as well???
                    >
                    > Chas.

                  • Tim Bray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                      >For those who don't know me, I am Dunstan Bramblette
                      >of Tree Girt Sea, and am presently apprenticed to Hal
                      >Raeburn.

                      Welcome, Dunstan! I had the pleasure of meeting Hal at Pennsic this year
                      and enjoyed a good conversation with him.

                      >I was given my first commision (a Maru Dai) in

                      OK, I have no idea what that is... Can you tell me something about the
                      culture and period, and the use of this object?

                      >the connecting dowels are red &
                      >white oak set checkered,

                      I don't quite follow what this means... do you have any photos showing this
                      detail?

                      > and the screw plugs for the
                      >dowels are black walnut.

                      Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional European joint for
                      something like this would be a wedged through-tenon, like you see on
                      staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a non-European object then I have no
                      idea what would be traditional.

                      Cheers,
                      Colin

                      Albion Works
                      Furniture and Accessories
                      For the Medievalist!
                      http://www.albionworks.net
                      http://www.albionworks.com
                    • Rob Hicks
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                        > OK, I have no idea what [a maru dai] is... Can you
                        tell me something about the culture and period, and
                        the use of this object?

                        Glad to;
                        The maru dai is a period japanese wooden tool used to
                        make kumihimo (japanese cord). kumihimo cord was used
                        by samurais to lace their lamallar armor and decorate
                        their swords.

                        >the connecting dowels are red & white oak set
                        checkered.
                        By this I mean that 4 dowels connect the two bases,
                        one round base, one square base. By checkered I
                        mean....
                        RO WO
                        WO RO

                        > I don't quite follow what this means... do you have
                        > any photos showing this
                        > detail?

                        Just the link.

                        > > and the screw plugs for the
                        > >dowels are black walnut.
                        >
                        > Hm, screws in end-grain are tricky. The traditional
                        > European joint for
                        > something like this would be a wedged through-tenon,
                        > like you see on
                        > staked-leg stools &c. But if this is a
                        > non-European object then I have no
                        > idea what would be traditional.

                        I would imagine a wedge tenon is period, but more
                        likely the dowels were secured with a simple hide
                        glue.
                        Since I need to research this aspect more, I'm really
                        guessing.
                        Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                        I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                        customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                        high quality.

                        -Dunstan

                      • Tim Bray
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Thanks for the added information, Dunstan. I've now learned one thing
                          today and can therefore go back to bed :-D

                          >Brass screws with screw caps is definately cheating,
                          >I just wanted to make a good strong maru dai that my
                          >customer could beat the hell out of and still look
                          >high quality.

                          You didn't have any trouble with the screws pulling out of that end-grain,
                          then? I did something similar once and had to be very careful not to
                          over-tighten them or they would strip out. That was in red oak.

                          Cheers,
                          Colin

                          Albion Works
                          Furniture and Accessories
                          For the Medievalist!
                          http://www.albionworks.net
                          http://www.albionworks.com
                        • Dunstan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Colin,

                            What I did to solve that problem was to pre-drill my holes so that
                            the core (not the thread) was empty space. This in turn helps the
                            oak and brass play nicely.

                            -Dunstan