RE: [MedievalSawdust] Hello Folks.

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 11, 2010
      On Wed, November 10, 2010 8:13 am, D. Young wrote:

      > And there is a natural fear of using hand tools because people think they
      > are too hard to master. This is not true. After a few hours with a
      > drawknife or hand plane, one gets the idea pretty quickly. Same is true
      > with chisels.
      >
      > And then there are things like machined dowels----worst idea ever!
      > Machine dowels are too perfect, which often results in a looser fit.
      > Hand made dowels take a few minutes to make but produce a tighter fit
      > because they are not as round.

      To say nothing of the much greater strength of handmade dowels, at least
      if you rive them instead of ripsawing. I was breaking up some old
      machined dowels just the other day (for firewood) and was appalled at the
      way they broke. Some of the grain was running 30-40 degrees off the axis
      of the dowel! The shear strength you expect, and need, in a doweled joint
      just isn't going to be there.

      There is a tendency to think that anything modern has to be better, and
      certainly faster, than the old stuff. We need to get beyond the
      self-congratulatory bullshit and realize that occasionally the old ways
      were _faster_ than modern. And materials prepared in the old way were
      routinely better quality. And especially that a hand-tool shop can often
      be set up for less money, simply because it's easier to scrounge or make
      the tools.

      Ulfhedinn
    • jay sabath
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 12, 2010
        Bill,

        Thanks for the link.

        please check out
        http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/
        They usually have several photos from each item as well as a good description.

        Lord Johannes Machiavelli
        Canton of Rokkehealden
        Barony of Ayreton
        Kingdom of the Middle

        On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

        My favorite online antiques site is Huntington Antiques, in the south of England.

        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/products.php?type=1