Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hello Folks.

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 11, 2010
      > On 11/10/10 11:13 AM, D. Young wrote:
      >
      >> And correct me if Im mistaken....but isnt the point of this group to
      >> push the envelope in terms of authenticity?

      > On Wed, November 10, 2010 9:37 am, Siegfried wrote:
      > I would disagree with that.

      <statement of group's purpose snipped>

      > To me, this means that this group is open to anyone of any
      > 'medieval-ish' background, and to discuss anything woodworking that
      > happens to relate to re-creationism.
      >
      > Whether that's masterwork pieces performed completely with handtools.
      > Or discussions on quick/efficient ways to churn out camp-chairs or
      > camp-boxes with plywood, slots, and screws.
      >
      > Each end of the discussion, has it's place.

      Actually I think you're both right. The group is broad enough to cover
      all sorts of woodworking, and ought to be. Which means that tips and
      techniques can cover the whole spectrum and be of interest to a fair
      percentage of readers either way.

      _Personally_, my own SCA interests are turning more and more toward
      authentic methods of work and camping. This is not for appearance's sake,
      as it seems to be for so many of the 'Nazis' who give authenticity a bad
      name. In my case, it's a personal drive to better understand what it was
      really like to live and work back then. Power tools and propane anything
      contribute very little to this, so I'm gradually raising my standards as I
      learn new things.

      I am _not_ here to sneer at someone who, say, uses power tools to make a
      six-board chest. (And if someone comes up with a way to do chip carving
      on a table saw, I would be fascinated to read about it!) But from my
      seemingly rare point of view, I'm not interested in hiding a cooler with
      either handmade or machine-made boxes. What I've done is learn how to eat
      well for a weekend, or a week, without refrigeration. It's not difficult
      at all, if you enjoy camp cookery, and unlike the cooler-hiding, gives one
      more small insight into the constraints (and sometimes advantages!) of our
      ancestors' lives.

      In passing, though I use lump charcoal in my attempts at demonstrating
      period blacksmithing in my booth, the use of coal can be documented at
      least as far back as 1377. The severe deforestation of Europe that
      culminated in that century (France had a million hectares less forest than
      it has _today_, frex) put terrible pressures on the price of charcoal.

      Of course, the source for 1377 suggests that the use of coal may have been
      a desperate experiment by someone who had not yet learned the tricks. A
      London smith was brought to court by angry neighbors complaining about the
      smoke. I can relate to this, as my own first attempts at a coal forge
      were untutored except by a book that turned out to be not the best. I
      filled our entire street with choking smoke. You literally could not see
      the house across from ours. Then I heard the sirens. Whoever called the
      fire department was being quite reasonable--an actual housefire we had
      once down the street made less smoke!

      By 1500 the use of coal as forge fuel was routine in many areas where it
      was available, such as much of England and Scotland.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 11, 2010
        > Actually I think you're both right. The group is broad enough to cover
        > all sorts of woodworking, and ought to be.

        Well said. In my case, I go back and forth depending on what I'm making.

        Sometimes I'm making a medieval replica crossbow, and so it's lots of
        hand work (after rough power work) to get it exactly how I want it to look.

        Sometimes I'm making a munition combat crossbow. Where the idea is to
        create something that is period in appearance, but quickly churned out
        for efficiency/cost.

        Right now, a big focus that I have is an attempt for myself, and others,
        to generate lots of quick/inexpensive camp-equipment that can replace
        plastic tables, rubbermaid totes, and coleman chairs.

        Once those are created/replaced in as quick of a timeframe as possible.
        Focus will shift back to making 'awesome truly period works of art'
        versions of same :)

        It's a spectrum I swing back-n-forth on, depending upon the task at
        hand. And I like doing that myself :)

        But I have great respect for the hand-made works of art :)

        Siegfried

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 11, 2010
          On Wed, November 10, 2010 8:13 am, D. Young wrote:

          > And there is a natural fear of using hand tools because people think they
          > are too hard to master. This is not true. After a few hours with a
          > drawknife or hand plane, one gets the idea pretty quickly. Same is true
          > with chisels.
          >
          > And then there are things like machined dowels----worst idea ever!
          > Machine dowels are too perfect, which often results in a looser fit.
          > Hand made dowels take a few minutes to make but produce a tighter fit
          > because they are not as round.

          To say nothing of the much greater strength of handmade dowels, at least
          if you rive them instead of ripsawing. I was breaking up some old
          machined dowels just the other day (for firewood) and was appalled at the
          way they broke. Some of the grain was running 30-40 degrees off the axis
          of the dowel! The shear strength you expect, and need, in a doweled joint
          just isn't going to be there.

          There is a tendency to think that anything modern has to be better, and
          certainly faster, than the old stuff. We need to get beyond the
          self-congratulatory bullshit and realize that occasionally the old ways
          were _faster_ than modern. And materials prepared in the old way were
          routinely better quality. And especially that a hand-tool shop can often
          be set up for less money, simply because it's easier to scrounge or make
          the tools.

          Ulfhedinn
        • jay sabath
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 12, 2010
            Bill,

            Thanks for the link.

            please check out
            http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/
            They usually have several photos from each item as well as a good description.

            Lord Johannes Machiavelli
            Canton of Rokkehealden
            Barony of Ayreton
            Kingdom of the Middle

            On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

            My favorite online antiques site is Huntington Antiques, in the south of England.

            http://www.huntington-antiques.com/products.php?type=1