Lathes

  • Mark Flebotte
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
      Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

      Mark / Cerid
    • samz_dad
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
        Depends on what you are turning. Spindle turning usually starts
        (depending on length/width)at about 1000-1200rpm for a 16"X 2"
        piece. Starting a large bowl can be as low as 400rpm (seeing a 20lb
        chunk of Walnut fly off the mount because it was not centered at
        anything over 400rpm can be horrifying/dangerous/expensive).
        Finishing can go as high as 2000rpm. Hope this helps!

        Lord Robert

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Flebotte" <maf@t...>
        wrote:
        > Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm
        curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm
        asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I
        was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

        > Mark / Cerid
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
          Wood  turning is done at a lot higher speed than a turning metal.  If the lathe is setup to handle both speed ranges you will need a wood turning spur on the drive end.  Now the lathe owners can chime in with the speeds...___ and the proper name for the spur.

          James Cunningham

          Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

          Mark / Cerid

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark Flebotte
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
            Actually it does help. And I know what you mean by having something fly off being dangerous. A few years back I had a long chat with an employee (shop labourer) who was supposed to be facing a peice of bar stock on the old lathe. He had the RPM set at almost 1000 and this 4' long piece of 4.5" diameter sold bar stock was not set properly and was about 5 degrees off of level. I walked out into the shop and had visions of this thing flying across the shop and kill 3-4 people.

            Mark / Cerid

            wrote:
            > Just a quick question, I've never used a wood lathe before and I'm
            curious what RPM range you need to run them in. The reason I'm
            asking is I'm looking to get a new metal lathe for my company and I
            was thinking of using it for turning wood also.

            > Mark / Cerid

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mark Flebotte
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
              Part of the reason I want to use a metal lathe is that I'm getting one already and secondly I like the idea of a chuck for mounting things.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                Chuck!...  there are some nice 4 jaw chucks out there for wood lathes...  now, granted it doesn't get around the "I've already got one" issue... but... one thing to think about while using a metal lathe...

                SAWDUST...

                Ya' ain't just kickin' up chips here...  and you'll probably do the wise thing and... after cranking up the speed a bit to finish your turning and get a nice smooth cut...  crank it up a bit more and lay the sand paper to it to get the really nice finish...   and then... perhaps, while it still turning, decide to apply wax or friction polish...

                ... while you're doing all of this, of course, you're drippin' (Drippin'??  Did I say 'Drippin!'?  I should say 'being thrown around  by the spinning wooden object in front of you...') gunk, and mixing with some pretty fine sawdust and all of that is getting in and on the various drives and gears on your metal lathe...

                ...  sure ya' don't wanna' get a good wood lathe???

                Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 8:39 AM