Re: [medievalsawdust] Using branch wood ?

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 2, 2004
      --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:

      > Is welding the part back together out of the Question?

      Since it was welded once before (I bought it used) and it broke on the
      weld, I'm hesitant to try it again. The local Porter-Cable dealer is
      going to see what he can find. The part is pretty standard, so even if
      he doesn't have an exact match, I should be able to buy something for a
      modern machine. Last resort, as you suggested, is to hit a machine
      shop and see what can be fabricated.

      So much for my first attempt at turning green wood.

      Ulrich

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Don Bowen
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 3, 2004
        Since it was welded once before (I bought it used) and it broke on the weld, I'm hesitant to try it again.  The local Porter-Cable dealer is going to see what he can find.  The part is pretty standard, so even if he doesn't have an exact match, I should be able to buy something for a modern machine.  Last resort, as you suggested, is to hit a machine
        shop and see what can be fabricated.

        Welding cast iron is difficult at best.  You have to preheat the part then use a high nickle cast iron welding rod.  You weld in stitches or short sections then place the object back in the heater.  Some even hammer the weld to help stress relieve the part.  Cool down has to be slow.  You can braze without preheating if you again stitch the weld to keep stresses from building.

        Even the best welding is not good.  I have a 1913 ENGICO Hit-N-Miss engine that we carefully welded and the welds still cracked.  I have an old vise that one jaw was welded on.  I have abused that vise for many years and it is still together.

        Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking
        Don Bowen                      donb@...
        Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com