Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New, and with ignorance aplenty

  • W. Roberts
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 6, 2010
      Frode,
      Spoke shaves, scraper shaves, either, both, or as many as your pocketbook will allow! Most of the newer ones are (I believe) metal-handled, but at http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/print.asp?p=1526 you'll find a page that shows making a wood-handled scraper shave. I think it's done by a Brit so the measurements are metric, but not hard to convert if you're so inclined. The page kindly tries to go straight to the printer, so if you'd like I could .pdf it and email it to you off-list. Barring that, consult Ye Old Booke of Google, using "spoke shaves" or "woodworking shaves", and you should come up with enough links to keep you occupied for hours. :-)

      As for the "corner of shame", that's why I am also an avid griller - who needs charcoal, when I've got so many "Ooopsies!" to burn? (yeah, yeah, I know..."avid griller" = semi-cured pyromaniac!)

      Wolf

      --- anthonyspangler@... wrote:

      Wolf,
      Thanks! Shaves, as in spoke shaves, or is this different? It seems to me I've seen something like that somewhere, but long ago, before it was important.
      Could you point me in the direction of some examples?
      I hear you on the power tools, I keep an unfinished bow in my "corner of shame", that I "finished off" with a hand held belt sander. Took about 10 seconds to do that one up wrong!

      Frode

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "W. Roberts" <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

      >...I don't know that you'd be able to beat a good collection of shaves. Maybe a little slower than files and rasps, but I've found that slower work makes for infinitely finer control - think along the lines of "Powertools allow me to make mistakes faster". :-)
      >
      > Other advantages of shaves: relatively small and light-weight, and outside of a wooden mallet you don't get much more "primitive-looking" than a blade on a stick!
      > (okay, I over-simplified the appearance, but you get the idea)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Wolf
      > AKA Lee

    • Royce
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 15, 2010

        And if you want to go the investigative route in the shop, you can always pick up a device called Kill-a-watt.  It’s a device you plug into the wall outlet and then plug your electronic device into it and it will tell you what it’s drawing.  More or less.  I see them at radio shack personally.   $100 bucks is a lot agreed.

        Bercilak