New, and with ignorance aplenty

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 6, 2010
      Greetings, and thanks for having me on this list!
      I've been with the SCA for coming up on one year, in October, and making wooden bows for nearly that long. I just participated in my first renfaire demo, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's great fun watching the expressions on peoples faces as they watch you using tools that don't have power cords.
      Up to now, I'd have said I couldn't build a box to save my soul, but after a dozen or so bows, there might be a chance at redemption.
      I'll have plenty of questions, but my first will concern the likes of early period (my chosen time is as close to 600 as possible, in the area around Denmark) files and rasps, and, if shave horses aren't available yet, what alternatives would likely have been used.
      I'm plodding through the archives, but any advice or pointers you kind folk would care to give would surely be appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Frode Kettilsson
    • Royce
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 15, 2010

        And if you want to go the investigative route in the shop, you can always pick up a device called Kill-a-watt.  It’s a device you plug into the wall outlet and then plug your electronic device into it and it will tell you what it’s drawing.  More or less.  I see them at radio shack personally.   $100 bucks is a lot agreed.

        Bercilak