Looking for cost effective hybrid/cabinet table saws

  • sean14powell
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
      Hello,

      Long story short I'm giving away my trusty craftman table-top table-saw and looking to upgrade. I need something with a larger work surface, preferably with a steel deck but a decent sized aluminum one would work, a reliable fence and ideally T-slot for the miter gage so I can mount feater boards. All of these features are things my old craftsman didn't have or did poorly.

      I had mentally budgeted $450-500 as that was probably 3X what I paid for the old saw. I took a walk through Woodcrafters and talked with some people and went into sticker shock. Really, I just can't afford $2,500 for any tool that gets used 6-8 weekends a year.

      I'm looking for recomendations for brands and companies. I know that Grizzley and Jet make lower end hybrid/cabinet saws. They are still a bit pricey, especially if the Grizzley needs to be delivered someplace with a loading dock. :/ I may be pushed into the higher end contractor models but most of them spend a lot of money on portability that is really counter-productive to what I intend to use it for.

      Any recomendations or suggestion? Also, anyone here frequent any tool forums that regularly review products like these? I'm comfortable waiting several months for close-outs and good deals but I don't know where to wait and listen.

      Thanks much in advance!
      Sean
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
        Random Thoughts:

        * I own a lower-end grizzly, (Don't make my model anymore, dang it).
        But it's a good, solid, machine. You'll be blissfully happy with, say,
        their G0661 (Which is kinda what I have, except I have a 3HP motor). It
        does however cost $850 ... plus $94 shipping if you can't drive to one.
        - http://is.gd/fNT0K
        I dunno what you are talking about with 'must have a loading dock'.
        I've ordered tons of stuff from Grizzly, and the freight guys just drop
        it off in my driveway.

        * If you really need to 'stick' with the $500 price range. I've heard
        'decent rumors' about the Home Depot RIGID table saws. Yeah, they are
        really small, and designed for ultimate portability instead of 'power'.
        But they are $500 - http://is.gd/fNSTU

        * In that price range, you might also wanna drive to your local Sears
        and check out the Craftsmen models. I can't speak to their table saws,
        but looking online they seem to have some pretty good deals ... such as
        a 3HP one w/ expanding wings for $300, http://is.gd/fNSRf ... and a
        professional cast iron 1.75 HP guy for $470 - http://is.gd/fNSZb

        Siegfried - Random Advice - Take as you will.

        On 10/6/10 8:50 AM, sean14powell wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Long story short I'm giving away my trusty craftman table-top table-saw and looking to upgrade. I need something with a larger work surface, preferably with a steel deck but a decent sized aluminum one would work, a reliable fence and ideally T-slot for the miter gage so I can mount feater boards. All of these features are things my old craftsman didn't have or did poorly.
        >
        > I had mentally budgeted $450-500 as that was probably 3X what I paid for the old saw. I took a walk through Woodcrafters and talked with some people and went into sticker shock. Really, I just can't afford $2,500 for any tool that gets used 6-8 weekends a year.
        >
        > I'm looking for recomendations for brands and companies. I know that Grizzley and Jet make lower end hybrid/cabinet saws. They are still a bit pricey, especially if the Grizzley needs to be delivered someplace with a loading dock. :/ I may be pushed into the higher end contractor models but most of them spend a lot of money on portability that is really counter-productive to what I intend to use it for.
        >
        > Any recomendations or suggestion? Also, anyone here frequent any tool forums that regularly review products like these? I'm comfortable waiting several months for close-outs and good deals but I don't know where to wait and listen.
        >
        > Thanks much in advance!
        > Sean
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Bill Fariss
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
          You didn't indicate the type of saw you want (table top or floor standing). If it is a table top, I would suggest a Skil 10" 15 Amp Table Saw 3305-01 Manufacturer refurbished unit from CPO on ebay.

          Bill Fariss
          Ashburn, VA
          20147
          wfariss@...
          "Never look back unless you want to go that way"

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
            I have a delta uni saw with the delta fence it was about 1000 in canada so you should be able to get one close to your budget in the state if you want a model number I can get one when I get back to me shop. I very seldom used my table saw before when I had a cheapy but now I use it alot it is quiet quick and a joy to use from a cheap model. I just have  the delta fence not the bessemer but it still works great if you take the time to set it up as per the instructions.

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010
              Sean,
              I purchased a Rigid Table saw from HD 3 years ago that is a shop saw. Metal stand with retractable wheels but I do not see it on the HD website right now. IT was about $500 and came highly recommended. I found it to ahve a better fence than ANY of the Craftsman saws in the same range from Sears. It came out of the box within .003 of true and I figured that if I tried to fix that I'd make it worse. I found that the belt runs very quietly and the blade that came with it was not too bad. I am very happy with it for the money I spent. I found it...It is a TS3650 10" table saw. Good luck on your choice.

              Valentine

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "sean14powell" <powell.sean@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Long story short I'm giving away my trusty craftman table-top table-saw and looking to upgrade. I need something with a larger work surface, preferably with a steel deck but a decent sized aluminum one would work, a reliable fence and ideally T-slot for the miter gage so I can mount feater boards. All of these features are things my old craftsman didn't have or did poorly.
              >
              > I had mentally budgeted $450-500 as that was probably 3X what I paid for the old saw. I took a walk through Woodcrafters and talked with some people and went into sticker shock. Really, I just can't afford $2,500 for any tool that gets used 6-8 weekends a year.
              >
              > I'm looking for recomendations for brands and companies. I know that Grizzley and Jet make lower end hybrid/cabinet saws. They are still a bit pricey, especially if the Grizzley needs to be delivered someplace with a loading dock. :/ I may be pushed into the higher end contractor models but most of them spend a lot of money on portability that is really counter-productive to what I intend to use it for.
              >
              > Any recomendations or suggestion? Also, anyone here frequent any tool forums that regularly review products like these? I'm comfortable waiting several months for close-outs and good deals but I don't know where to wait and listen.
              >
              > Thanks much in advance!
              > Sean

            • Andronikos
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
                unless you have a requirement for a new saw, rather than just new to you, i would look at craigslist- you should be able to find something in your price range that will work for you with minimal or no refurbishment necessary

                Kurtis