Re: spokeshaves

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
      <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
      > Actually I Have two of Highland Hardware's Spokeshaves that I
      think I paid around Twenty Dollars apiece for.
      > Use them to turn down hardwood walking sticks and quarterstaves.
      Haven't had a problem outta both of them
      > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

      Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
      tools)

      I really hadn't looked at their spokeshaves, as I already had
      several.
      The older ones being my favorites.
      The best deal I got from them was a set of Sheffield scrapers for
      under/around, 15$. (and my Japanese razor saw, which I absolutely
      Swear by, and refuse to use any other kind! It will easily rip
      lumber with one side, or go through a Pt 4x4 like butter !!!)
      I also got a few unique 'stamps' for specialized work, but blew my
      largest drop on them for a set of round-ended carving gouges (around
      140$) and misc, Flex-cut tools. They also offer (at least in-
      store) a 10 or 20% discount on all wood-working books)

      So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad' just that when ya get to
      looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
      heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.

      I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
      especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
      awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
      destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
      (The parking situation in that area is a pure nightmare during the
      holidays. The store has a parking lot, but general and shopping
      traffic is a horror as most other parking is on the street, and all
      traffic inches. Lovely area to shop in in the spring,...all kinds
      of unique shops on either side of the road, and cafe's. It was
      something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton John
      has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
      Shara
    • windsingersmoon
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
        And My personal favorite "Woodcarverssupply.com" (but I don't recall
        if they have spokeshaves or not,.....I ususally haunt them for
        reasonably priced carving tools and books, and good service)
        Shara

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Alessandro dEste"
        <avalonbear@h...> wrote:
        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
        > <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > > > My Good Baron Conal.
        > Im not sure if they have a store near you.
        > But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
        > They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side)
        wich
        > is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I
        would
        > check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality
        tool
        > wich I found to reasonable in cost.
        > IYS
        > Alessandro d'Este,
        > Ast,Signet
        > Barony of Sternfeld
        >
        > www.woodcraft.com
      • marc adkins
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004

          Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 11:00 AM
          Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: spokeshaves

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
          <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
          SNIP
          > > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
          >  ****************************************************

          Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
          tools)

          So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad'  just that when ya get to
          looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
          heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.
          One of thier broad axes is what I'm looking at getting next.
          I'm not really a joiner of cabnetmaker yet. I'm mainly looking into dropping a tree and turning it into basic simple items needed for medieval life. currently trying to turn a seasoned black locust trunk into a shaving horse. I have to buck it right now kinda procrastinating on it right now and enjoying the semester break.

          I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
          especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
          awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
          destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
          \SNIP
          I Live in Central Oklahoma. However I might be Making it to atlanta Georgia this summer to attend a professionnal conference. Unfortunately my expenses there will not include tools.

          .  It was
          something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton John
          has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.

          Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
          Shara
          Marc Adkins
          Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
            <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
            > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
            your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
            of it)(but within sight of Highland) We Never go to one place,
            without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
            we're in the neighborhood. The bookstore is just an old house.
            Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
            inside boggles the mind!!!! And coming from someone with around
            10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
            Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
            what he buys from folks.

            Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
            Shara

            > . It was
            > something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton
            John
            > has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
            >
            > Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
            > Shara
            >
            > Marc Adkins
            > Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

            -----------

          • marc adkins
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
              Heck of a snip job.
              For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
              Marc Adkins
              > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
              your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
              of it)(but within sight of Highland)   We Never go to one place,
              without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
              we're in the neighborhood.  The bookstore is just an old house.
              Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
              inside boggles the mind!!!!   And coming from someone with around
              10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
              Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
              what he buys from folks.

              Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
              Shara

              >   .  It was
              >   something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton
              John
              >   has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
              >
              >   Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
              >   Shara
              >
              >   Marc Adkins
              >   Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

            • windsingersmoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                > Heck of a snip job.
                > For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                > Marc Adkins
                Wooops, sorry about that.
                my snipping is obviously sloppy.
                I'm better with hard-copy wood tools