Re: Medieval Spice Boxes?

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 107 KB
    Found one! Identified as a spice box by my sweetie, at least. Seems
    reasonable to me. Can't think of anything else it could be.

    In our photos section, under the "Kitchen with portable spice box" folder:

    OR
    http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah

    The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

    ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
    ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
    ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
    '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
    '/|\ "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an
    //|\\ open sewer and die." - Mel Brooks

    On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Broom <iambroom@...> wrote:
    > Rowan de la Garnisson (too many titles to list!) informs me that
    > medieval cooks had some sort of traveling spice box, with spices
    > wrapped in vellum & kept in cubbyholes. It sounds rather like a
    > briefcase version of a typesetter's box, but of course, without a
    > picture, I'm just guessing.
    >
    > Has anyone run across depictions of such?
    >
    > I'm also interested in depictions of camp cooking setups & field
    > kitchens, in general, BTW.
    >
    > TIA, and safe travels to all coming to PW!
    >
    > ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
    > ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
    > ' |   9370 Shadduck Rd,  McKean, PA 16426
    > '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
    > '/|\  "Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies."
    > //|\\ - Bruce, straightrazorplace.com

  • D'vorah bint al-Attar
    Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010

      On 12 Sep 2010, at 9:44 AM, Broom wrote:

      > http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah
      >
      > The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

      Looks like a box that I've seen in modern kitchens and stores, for storing bagged teas and separating them by flavors. I now want to get one, to be the first "really medieval" thing in my camp kitchen!
      D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      dvorah@...
      Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
    • Helen Schultz
      Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010

        Looks like you've found it!!  What time period?  14th or 15th c??  Should be fairly easy to duplicate.  I think I've recently seen a photo (not an illumination) of someone using something similar for dry pigment paint colors, too... but theirs was individual wooden boxes, not set up like this one in a single box.  Way cool.

        ~~ Katarina Helene
        Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
        Middle Kingdom

        The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2010
          would someone email me the picture directly at itsatrap@...?  it appears i cannot remember my yahoo email.

          On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:47 AM, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Broom <iambroom@...> wrote:
          >> Rowan de la Garnisson (too many titles to list!) informs me that medieval cooks had some sort of traveling spice box, with spices wrapped in vellum & kept in cubbyholes. [snip] Has anyone run across depictions of such?

          On 12 Sep 2010, at 9:44 AM, Broom wrote:

          > http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah
          >
          > The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

          Looks like a box that I've seen in modern kitchens and stores, for storing bagged teas and separating them by flavors. I now want to get one, to be the first "really medieval" thing in my camp kitchen!
          D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          dvorah@...
          Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar

        • julian wilson
          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010
            While my Lady and I were equipping our own encampment, 2004 through 2007, we found two small, 4-drawer spice-coffer" units in an Indian Crafts' Shop. They were ridiculously cheap, so mcu so that I bought the pair, rather than goikng to the trouble of making something similar in my own Woodworking Shop.
             However, if one has access to a small tablesaw [ i.e. - a little becnhtop unti, - making such a little spice coffer would be an excellent way of using-up small offcuts of timber from other projects, because so much of the cutting will be repetitive. And since the weight of dried spices is negligable, you can use thin offcuts, glued and pinned, together to make the compartments and/or sliding drawers. The whole coffer does not need to be very strong. And the period-appearance is external, and can be achieved by painting.

            YiS,
             Matthewe Baker,
            "old" Jersey
            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010

              Yeah – I’ve bought similar items.  The only drawback is that I find myself constantly explaining that “no, I didn’t make that.”

              Will

              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010
                Will,
                at my age it's a trade-off between getting something else for our encampment, quickly and off-the-shelf,  - [since 90% of the people who look at our encampment set-ups are so historically ignorant they cannot identify objects to within a century, let-alone to within a Kingdom & Reign] - and juggling my workshop "Jobs-to-do List" in the awareness that God may call me Home anytime.
                 I probably have far-more "Like-to-do Projects" in my Planner Files, than He will ever allow me time to finish!
                So I admit, I tend to choose the "quick-to-finish" Projects over the ones which I know will take a substantial number of my labour hours to complete.
                And I tend to avoid handwork if I can produce the same result with power tools simply to save labour-hours,  - because I know I can do almost anything by hand, and don't  - these days - have to prove my Craft Skills to anyone.

                 Yrs, cordially,
                 Matthewe Baker

              • cjanoch@mindspring.com
                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010
                  Ah - the curse of being a recognized artist. ;-)

                  From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                  Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:21:17 -0400
                  To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010
                    Katarina Helene
                    > Looks like you've found it!!  What time period?  14th or 15th c??

                    I'd guess late 15th or 16th, from the dress, but don't have any other
                    info... Waitaminnet... Checking TinEye.com...

                    1577, according to this site:
                    http://www.ooegeschichte.at/showpic.php?file=uploads%2Fpics%2FKueche_Herd.jpg&width=645m&height=630m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgcolor%3D%22black%22%3E&title=Multimediainformation&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20|%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=0512c8d690760af9a56a0038193470e8
                    OR
                    http://tinyurl.com/2wlw9th

                    Parent page:
                    http://www.ooegeschichte.at/Kueche_und_Tischkultur_im_Spaetmittelalt.1108.0.html

                    Caption:
                    Küche in der frühen Neuzeit
                    Datierung: 1577 Material: Holzschnitt

                    (Kitchen in the early modern period
                    Date: 1577 Material: Woodcut)

                    (Also, I replied offline to "leaking pen" itsatrap@... for a
                    request to send the picture directly.)

                    ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
                    ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
                    ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
                    '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
                    '/|\ "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a
                    //|\\ lack of confidence." - Doug McLeod
                  • Helen Schultz
                    Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2010

                      Thanks... I was thinking much earlier, I guess <sheepish grin>.

                      I also replied to her... sent her the image, as I'd saved it to my computer for future use.

                      ~~ Katarina Helene