Re: [MedievalSawdust] linen fold chest-details

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
      The fundamental equation of woodworking hasn’t changed in two
      thousand years:  time = money.

      ( IMHO )

      You are mostly right about that.

      In the Medieval period materials were expensive and labor was cheap
      so the 'time = money' statement is not as true for then as it is now.
      Or at least not as true for the same reasons now.

      Now we get the bonus of labor is not cheap ( here in the US ) and
      neither are materials.

      They used labor saving tools where possible but that was not to save
      money on time spent making something so much as normal human
      nature ( laziness.... why work harder than you need to? )

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

        True – labor was cheap relative to materials, and both were cheap relatives to tools you could not make yourself.

        But product that’s not finished is product not out the door, no matter what period you’re looking at.

        Of course, far be it from me to undermine the motivating power of human laziness.  My ideal world involves me sitting at home while people send me checks for zero effort.

        Will

          The fundamental equation of woodworking hasn’t changed in two

          thousand years:  time = money.

          ( IMHO )

          You are mostly right about that.

          In the Medieval period materials were expensive and labor was cheap

          so the 'time = money' statement is not as true for then as it is now.

          Or at least not as true for the same reasons now.

          Now we get the bonus of labor is not cheap ( here in the US ) and

          neither are materials.

          They used labor saving tools where possible but that was not to save

          money on time spent making something so much as normal human

          nature ( laziness.... why work harder than you need to? )

          David "Volk'abe" Mc.
          Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

            Of course, far be it from me to undermine the motivating power of human laziness.  My ideal world involves me sitting at home while people send me checks for zero effort.

            Will

            Well.... you could see if they can just put money into your account.... I mean you have to walk to the mail box, walk back, open the envelopes, go the the bank, write out a deposit slip, total the checks...... there must be a simpler way.....

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

              Oddly – no.  I’m IN government work.  And they insist that I show up to sit on my butt and be unproductive.

              They won’t let me telecommute and sit on my butt and be unproductive.

              Will

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

                Oh, direct deposit helps.  But I still have to go to this “job” thing, where, occasionally, I do “work.”