Re: linen fold chest-details

  • klausvmainz
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2010
      my 2 cents:

      Linenfolds can be fun to play with, but you have to be somewhat procedural in how you approach them. And you should expect to make at least a couple of study carvings before doing the actual project panels.

      As far as the undulations go, I've found that hogging the waste out with gouges & mallet and then refining the surfaces with either a molding plane or gooseneck scraper work the best for me. Planing the undulations away one thin molding plane shaving at a time is incredibly slow and tedious.

      Hope this helps,
      -Klaus

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

        Thoughts – ya sure!

        I’ve made a three panel chest out of red oak that’s about four feet long.  I carved three front panels for it.  It’s a reproduction – but, of course, I don’t have my notes, so I can’t tell you where I got it at the moment.

        I did all the panels “the hard way,” with a set of bevel chisels and carving gouges, although I also used a block plane to flatten out the ground.  After I was finished, I ran across some research indicating that in the 1800’s, linen fold was carved with round-bottomed planes typically used for moulding.  Additional research found a number of mounding planes on the Mary Rose and here and there in medieval collections.

        The fundamental equation of woodworking hasn’t changed in two thousand years:  time = money.  Given that it’s WAY faster to plane than to carve, and that round bottom planes were available, at least in 15th – 16th century England, which is my schtick (well, and a little Viking and German), I’m willing to say that it’s very likely that 15th century continental and English carvers produced panels using flat planes to raise the carving from the ground, then round-bottom planes to do most of the stock removal and shaping of the folks, and then carving gouges and chisels for detailing and finishing the ends of the folks.

        Will

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
          The fundamental equation of woodworking hasn’t changed in two
          thousand years:  time = money.

          ( IMHO )

          You are mostly right about that.

          In the Medieval period materials were expensive and labor was cheap
          so the 'time = money' statement is not as true for then as it is now.
          Or at least not as true for the same reasons now.

          Now we get the bonus of labor is not cheap ( here in the US ) and
          neither are materials.

          They used labor saving tools where possible but that was not to save
          money on time spent making something so much as normal human
          nature ( laziness.... why work harder than you need to? )

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

            True – labor was cheap relative to materials, and both were cheap relatives to tools you could not make yourself.

            But product that’s not finished is product not out the door, no matter what period you’re looking at.

            Of course, far be it from me to undermine the motivating power of human laziness.  My ideal world involves me sitting at home while people send me checks for zero effort.

            Will

              The fundamental equation of woodworking hasn’t changed in two

              thousand years:  time = money.

              ( IMHO )

              You are mostly right about that.

              In the Medieval period materials were expensive and labor was cheap

              so the 'time = money' statement is not as true for then as it is now.

              Or at least not as true for the same reasons now.

              Now we get the bonus of labor is not cheap ( here in the US ) and

              neither are materials.

              They used labor saving tools where possible but that was not to save

              money on time spent making something so much as normal human

              nature ( laziness.... why work harder than you need to? )

              David "Volk'abe" Mc.
              Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

                Of course, far be it from me to undermine the motivating power of human laziness.  My ideal world involves me sitting at home while people send me checks for zero effort.

                Will

                Well.... you could see if they can just put money into your account.... I mean you have to walk to the mail box, walk back, open the envelopes, go the the bank, write out a deposit slip, total the checks...... there must be a simpler way.....

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

                  Oddly – no.  I’m IN government work.  And they insist that I show up to sit on my butt and be unproductive.

                  They won’t let me telecommute and sit on my butt and be unproductive.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010

                    Oh, direct deposit helps.  But I still have to go to this “job” thing, where, occasionally, I do “work.”