Cynagua Thrones

  • klausvmainz
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7 5:53 PM
      Hello,

      I don't post very often, but I finished this project a couple of months ago and thought some of you might find it of interest:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/herr_klaus/

      The project was a pair of thrones for the Principality of Cynagua in the West Kingdom made out of quarter-sawn white oak. The design was based on 15th century thrones of state with a mix of gothic tracery and linenfold design motifs. The Principality shields were carved separately and glued into place. The intent was to create a pair of thrones that could hopefully compliment the West kingdom thrones design-wise when placed next to them.

      Each throne breaks down into 5 parts and 4 wedges. Overall height is 54" IIRC.

      Thanks,
      Klaus
    • Laura Iseman
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7 6:14 PM
        Gosh! those are fantastic!

        I am curious, what holds up the seat? In other break-down chairs of this shape I have seen there are tenons with wedges on the sides. You seem to have overcome this problem and I would love to know how. Do you have a pattern for the basic shape construction?

        Awed,
        Miriam

        --
        Agite primo recte! Nihil igitur durat tamquam enodatia brevis at satis.
        (Do it right the first time, because nothing is so permanent as a temporary solution that works)

      • Jeffrey Johnson

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7 8:20 PM
            Hi Miriam,
            The seat is supported in the front by the linenfold frame which acts like a stretcher, and at the back by a ledger permanently attached to the bottom rail of the back frame (the top of the bottom rail is at the same height as the seat).

            The front stretcher attachment was my one joinery cheat. I used steel bed rails for the attachment to keep assembly as simple as possible and to avoid having tusk tenons poking out the sides.

            The seat is prevented from sliding off of those two bearing points by notches cut into the corners of the seat frame which fit around the front and back legs locking it in position.

            The only patterns I have are the bid drawings here:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/herr_klaus/3547124359/in/set-72157618505240584/

            There are a couple details there that MIGHT clear things up..

            Thanks!
            -K

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Laura Iseman <laurai@...> wrote:

            > Gosh! those are fantastic!
            >
            > I am curious, what holds up the seat? In other break-down chairs of this
            > shape I have seen there are tenons with wedges on the sides. You seem to
            > have overcome this problem and I would love to know how. Do you have a
            > pattern for the basic shape construction?
            >
            > Awed,
            > Miriam
            >
            > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM, klausvmainz <adamjh@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I don't post very often, but I finished this project a couple of months ago
            > > and thought some of you might find it of interest:
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/herr_klaus/
            > >
            > > The project was a pair of thrones for the Principality of Cynagua in the
            > > West Kingdom made out of quarter-sawn white oak. The design was based on
            > > 15th century thrones of state with a mix of gothic tracery and linenfold
            > > design motifs. The Principality shields were carved separately and glued
            > > into place. The intent was to create a pair of thrones that could hopefully
            > > compliment the West kingdom thrones design-wise when placed next to them.
            > >
            > > Each throne breaks down into 5 parts and 4 wedges. Overall height is 54"
            > > IIRC.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Klaus
            > >

            > --
            > Agite primo recte! Nihil igitur durat tamquam enodatia brevis at satis.
            > (Do it right the first time, because nothing is so permanent as a temporary
            > solution that works)

          • Laura Iseman
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7 9:11 PM
              On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM, klausvmainz <adamjh@...> wrote:

              Hi Miriam,
              The seat is supported in the front by the linenfold frame which acts like a stretcher, and at the back by a ledger permanently attached to the bottom rail of the back frame (the top of the bottom rail is at the same height as the seat).

              OK, that bit makes sense

              The front stretcher attachment was my one joinery cheat. I used steel bed rails for the attachment to keep assembly as simple as possible and to avoid having tusk tenons poking out the sides.

              That was the bit that got me 8-> Steel bed rails as in the corner joints used for beds? Hook bit on one part and holes on the other? Clever.

              Thanks for that,

              Miriam

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7 9:29 PM
                Yep. Those are the ones. Male portion on the ends of the linenfold frames and the female portion on the legs..

                -K

                > > That was the bit that got me 8-> Steel bed rails as in the corner joints
                > used for beds? Hook bit on one part and holes on the other? Clever.
                >
                > Thanks for that,
              • klausvmainz
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7 10:00 PM
                  Thanks Jeff,

                  From what I've heard, they were very well received. Unfortunately I wasn't able to deliver them myself to see them off..

                  take care,
                  -Klaus

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Johnson <jljonsn@...> wrote:

                  > Holy. Crap.
                  >
                  > Speechless. This is the nicest piece of work I've seen done for any SCA
                  > application. If the muckety's in the principality don't appreciate it, to
                  > the core of their beings, I vow to hurt them.
                  >
                  > Jeff/Geoff.
                  >
                  > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM, klausvmainz <adamjh@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I don't post very often, but I finished this project a couple of months ago
                  > > and thought some of you might find it of interest:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/herr_klaus/
                  > >
                  > > The project was a pair of thrones for the Principality of Cynagua in the
                  > > West Kingdom made out of quarter-sawn white oak. The design was based on
                  > > 15th century thrones of state with a mix of gothic tracery and linenfold
                  > > design motifs. The Principality shields were carved separately and glued
                  > > into place. The intent was to create a pair of thrones that could hopefully
                  > > compliment the West kingdom thrones design-wise when placed next to them.
                  > >
                  > > Each throne breaks down into 5 parts and 4 wedges. Overall height is 54"
                  > > IIRC.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Klaus

                • B Gr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8 12:20 PM
                    that is absolutely Lovely.  makes me wish i could have just one chair like that.
                    johannette

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8 12:23 PM
                      very impressive

                    • Jim Looper
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8 2:51 PM

                        Wow... Just: Wow...

                        Sincerely,

                        Lucien

                        I do not count as a credible source.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 8 9:02 PM
                          Wow, Klaus.

                          Your work continues to impress. You are an inspiration to local, and now global, artisans.

                          In Service to the Dream,
                          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                          Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid