Re: Housing ideas for NRWC

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2010
      Erik,

      While I find your topic interesting, it doesn't really fall into the purpose for this group. As stated on the home page of Medieval Sawdust: "A group for the discussion of Medieval woodworking techniques and for display of pictures, drawings, articles and photos of ideas or resources. Items that aren't strictly medieval but fit into the re-creationist context are also welcome."

      Lucky for you, there are groups that are directly aligned with what you're talking about. Check out Pennsic_Homes at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsic_homes/ They describe their list as: "Discussion list for people who have built, want to build or wish to learn about permanent and semi-permanent housing structures for camping at the Pennsic War."

      You could also reach out to some of the owners of the links that were posted on this list back in July, Effingham posted a link to Sir gaston's build for Pennsic 2010 on July 26.
      http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112281&highlight=
      Sir Gaston has joined our encampment many times over the last 15 years and his quality of work and attention to detail is impressive.

      I think that the people that are doing the best work in this area are not members of this list. One exception is Mary Ostler, a member here that built a Tudor trailer. http://www.maryostler.com/2009/02/tudor-house-trailer-past-works/ as Ulfhedinn posted in message 12901.

      So basically, interesting conversation, but somewhat off-topic for this group. I see that you've only been a member here for about 6 weeks so it's no big deal, but with the wide variety of groups out there (I belong to more than 30), you should look around to find the most effective place to collect and share your ideas. And if you think that you've got a really unique topic, you can set up your own Yahoo group. I've set up a couple, it only takes a minutes.

      Yours in Service to the Dream,
      THL Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
      Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "erik_mage" <dragonwyck@...> wrote:

      > Who wants to talk about ridgid sided buildings or trailers desguised as buildings for Pennsic or NRWC.
      > I would like to get a small group together who would focus on that in a practical sense . Not that I don't have ideas of my own but to come up with some simple solutions that could benefit everyone in SCA.
      > My work lately has me tied up with 12 hour shifts ,so all I have time for is to talk .
      > Whats my goal? hmm . .. put together a portfolio of designs simple and complex. Create a list of materials and compatable sufacing materials and tchniques. Maybe some photos.
      > A think tank as you will . More skilled workers than novices interjecting their concepts and results.
      > I don't want this to sound exclusive in any way. Just more nuts and bolts and less dream machines.
      > The duration would likely be of about a month. The freindly conversation would be forever.
      > The phrase "my wife wants to be more comfortable, I don't want a plastic tent!" is some what a moto.
      >
      > Who is willing to work with me?
      > Signify here on this post then in email . We will post all of the best ideas here in a month in one big down loadable format.
      > Maybe we should get someone who knows how to do that as well!
      >
      > ERIK the mage

    • erik_mage
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2010
        This group is one of my favorites and often speak of "housing" . I thank you for mentioning the points following my message. I do not intend to fill this site with my content so refferenced.Mearly seeking competent friends. I will yield this topic as not carpentry related.
        ERIK

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010

          There’s a Pennsic Homeowners groups that talks about that all the time.   Give it a search on Yahoo Groups.

          Will