Re: [medievalsawdust] Glastonbury Chairs

  • Alfricr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Greetings Dan!

      I am Alfric Rolfson (mka Ralph Mason). Sounds great that you are making
      Glastonbury style chairs. I too have made a couple of this type out of white
      oak for the Barony of Three Mountains in An Tir and they are a couple of the
      most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in.
      http://home.comcast.net/~blkhrse/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

      Please post photos of your work when you are finished.

      Happy New Year!

      Ralph
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        Ralph.
        I Love you !!!!
        (don't tell my lord husband,...he doesn't take these things well....)

        I'm re-creating/re-created a Bunch of things from the Oseberg ship
        find, and I have future plans to re-create that end panel from the
        wagon (with the man and woman) but it never occured to me to
        actually attempt to re-produce the entire wagon on any scale !!!

        You have my admiration for a beautiful job, and an itching on my
        behalf, to get a closer look at your wonderful wagon !!!
        Shara, aka Asa of the Wood

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Alfricr" <alfric@c...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          wrote:
          > Greetings Dan!
          >
          > I am Alfric Rolfson (mka Ralph Mason).
          I've bookmarked your site into my 'Oseberg' folder.

          Would love to hear from you regarding some of your favorite souces
          etc. ANYTHING on the Oseberg stuff.
          hugz
          Shara
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            Very nice. I have seen your website before. I was (and still am) quite
            impressed.

            I have seen some other chairs of the 'Glastonbury' type. That are put
            together differently. The back is wider then the seat in 4 or 5 other
            examples of period chairs of the same type. This, along with the outside
            leg being attached at the back instead of the front, make everything line up
            parallel instead of that wierd 5 degree slant in the arms. I am under the
            opinion (my opinion) that the Glastonbury either...
            1. It was altered a lot in the 1800s before any pictures were made (and we
            know it was rebuilt)
            or
            2. It was made for a specific person and he needed a wider seat, maybe he
            was kind of pear shaped.
            (and we know it was made for a specific person)
            So either hypothosis is reasonable, or maybe neither of them. I have seen a
            picture of which parts of the origianl chair survived and were rebuilt in
            the 1800s, and if I remember right, it was the arms, the crest rail at the
            top of the back, the chair side-rails(seat and back), and the center of the
            back of the seat, not all of it. The rest was lost, so, its anybody's guess
            as to the way the chair was originally made. I just dumped that picture of
            surviving pieces of the original into the photo section, look under Rhys'
            stuff. I also stuck in a pic of the pine and plywood prototype for my
            Glastonbury Thrones. Although the final thrones will have the original
            Glastonbury style arms. and be put together slightly different, but it won't
            show unless you take it apart.

            Many of these other chairs are on Albionworks website
            http://www.albionworks.net/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm
            A very handy site lots of good stuff. I know Colin is on this list too. He
            can probably give more info.
            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >Greetings Dan!
            >
            >I am Alfric Rolfson (mka Ralph Mason). Sounds great that you are making
            >Glastonbury style chairs. I too have made a couple of this type out of
            >white
            >oak for the Barony of Three Mountains in An Tir and they are a couple of
            >the
            >most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in.
            >http://home.comcast.net/~blkhrse/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
            >
            >Please post photos of your work when you are finished.
            >
            >Happy New Year!
            >
            >Ralph

            Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
            http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es