RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: spokeshaves

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
      One other thing. Modern metal spokeshave and old style wooden ones cut
      differently because of the blade angle. The metal ones (like Record) are
      essentially planes, while the old style one slice like a drawknife. You get
      the same effect on the end product, so choice is a personal preference. But
      let's say you want to get a modern style metal one (modern meaning 19th
      Century....), then get the Record one with adjustable blades, they are
      cheap. The Kunz ones are horribly made, rough castings, inferior lever
      caps.

      Old style, but modern construction is Veritas:
      http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=4490&gift
      =False&mscssid=1D266A68A60C40049EEFFA2E51DC74B3

      Modern style Record (blue)
      http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/default.php/cPath/96_410

      Those are $50 or less. Next step up is $100 or more. THAT's another
      conversation.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
        <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
        > Actually I Have two of Highland Hardware's Spokeshaves that I
        think I paid around Twenty Dollars apiece for.
        > Use them to turn down hardwood walking sticks and quarterstaves.
        Haven't had a problem outta both of them
        > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

        Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
        tools)

        I really hadn't looked at their spokeshaves, as I already had
        several.
        The older ones being my favorites.
        The best deal I got from them was a set of Sheffield scrapers for
        under/around, 15$. (and my Japanese razor saw, which I absolutely
        Swear by, and refuse to use any other kind! It will easily rip
        lumber with one side, or go through a Pt 4x4 like butter !!!)
        I also got a few unique 'stamps' for specialized work, but blew my
        largest drop on them for a set of round-ended carving gouges (around
        140$) and misc, Flex-cut tools. They also offer (at least in-
        store) a 10 or 20% discount on all wood-working books)

        So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad' just that when ya get to
        looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
        heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.

        I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
        especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
        awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
        destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
        (The parking situation in that area is a pure nightmare during the
        holidays. The store has a parking lot, but general and shopping
        traffic is a horror as most other parking is on the street, and all
        traffic inches. Lovely area to shop in in the spring,...all kinds
        of unique shops on either side of the road, and cafe's. It was
        something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton John
        has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
        Shara
      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
          And My personal favorite "Woodcarverssupply.com" (but I don't recall
          if they have spokeshaves or not,.....I ususally haunt them for
          reasonably priced carving tools and books, and good service)
          Shara

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Alessandro dEste"
          <avalonbear@h...> wrote:
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
          > <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > > > My Good Baron Conal.
          > Im not sure if they have a store near you.
          > But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
          > They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side)
          wich
          > is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I
          would
          > check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality
          tool
          > wich I found to reasonable in cost.
          > IYS
          > Alessandro d'Este,
          > Ast,Signet
          > Barony of Sternfeld
          >
          > www.woodcraft.com
        • marc adkins
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004

            Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 11:00 AM

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
            <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
            SNIP
            > > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
            >  ****************************************************

            Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
            tools)

            So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad'  just that when ya get to
            looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
            heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.
            One of thier broad axes is what I'm looking at getting next.
            I'm not really a joiner of cabnetmaker yet. I'm mainly looking into dropping a tree and turning it into basic simple items needed for medieval life. currently trying to turn a seasoned black locust trunk into a shaving horse. I have to buck it right now kinda procrastinating on it right now and enjoying the semester break.

            I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
            especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
            awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
            destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
            \SNIP
            I Live in Central Oklahoma. However I might be Making it to atlanta Georgia this summer to attend a professionnal conference. Unfortunately my expenses there will not include tools.

            .  It was
            something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton John
            has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.

            Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
            Shara
            Marc Adkins
            Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • windsingersmoon
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
              <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
              > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
              your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
              of it)(but within sight of Highland) We Never go to one place,
              without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
              we're in the neighborhood. The bookstore is just an old house.
              Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
              inside boggles the mind!!!! And coming from someone with around
              10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
              Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
              what he buys from folks.

              Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
              Shara

              > . It was
              > something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton
              John
              > has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
              >
              > Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
              > Shara
              >
              > Marc Adkins
              > Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

              -----------

            • marc adkins
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                Heck of a snip job.
                For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                Marc Adkins
                > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
                your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
                of it)(but within sight of Highland)   We Never go to one place,
                without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
                we're in the neighborhood.  The bookstore is just an old house.
                Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
                inside boggles the mind!!!!   And coming from someone with around
                10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
                Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
                what he buys from folks.

                Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
                Shara

                >   .  It was
                >   something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton
                John
                >   has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                >
                >   Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                >   Shara
                >
                >   Marc Adkins
                >   Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

              • windsingersmoon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                  <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                  > Heck of a snip job.
                  > For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                  > Marc Adkins
                  Wooops, sorry about that.
                  my snipping is obviously sloppy.
                  I'm better with hard-copy wood tools