Re: spokeshaves

  • Lord Alessandro dEste
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
      <baronconal@y...> wrote:
      > Anyone found a maker of spokehsaves
      > that is quality and reasonable? Or
      > knows of a brand to avoid like the
      > plague?
      > I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
      > Valley as a source....
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      My Good Baron Conal.
      Im not sure if they have a store near you.
      But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
      They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side) wich
      is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I would
      check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality tool
      wich I found to reasonable in cost.
      IYS
      Alessandro d'Este,
      Ast,Signet
      Barony of Sternfeld

      www.woodcraft.com
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
        One other thing. Modern metal spokeshave and old style wooden ones cut
        differently because of the blade angle. The metal ones (like Record) are
        essentially planes, while the old style one slice like a drawknife. You get
        the same effect on the end product, so choice is a personal preference. But
        let's say you want to get a modern style metal one (modern meaning 19th
        Century....), then get the Record one with adjustable blades, they are
        cheap. The Kunz ones are horribly made, rough castings, inferior lever
        caps.

        Old style, but modern construction is Veritas:
        http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=4490&gift
        =False&mscssid=1D266A68A60C40049EEFFA2E51DC74B3

        Modern style Record (blue)
        http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/default.php/cPath/96_410

        Those are $50 or less. Next step up is $100 or more. THAT's another
        conversation.

        > I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
        > Valley as a source....
        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        My Good Baron Conal.
        Im not sure if they have a store near you.
        But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com

        Alessandro d'Este,
        Ast,Signet
        Barony of Sternfeld

        www.woodcraft.com
      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
          <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
          > Actually I Have two of Highland Hardware's Spokeshaves that I
          think I paid around Twenty Dollars apiece for.
          > Use them to turn down hardwood walking sticks and quarterstaves.
          Haven't had a problem outta both of them
          > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

          Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
          tools)

          I really hadn't looked at their spokeshaves, as I already had
          several.
          The older ones being my favorites.
          The best deal I got from them was a set of Sheffield scrapers for
          under/around, 15$. (and my Japanese razor saw, which I absolutely
          Swear by, and refuse to use any other kind! It will easily rip
          lumber with one side, or go through a Pt 4x4 like butter !!!)
          I also got a few unique 'stamps' for specialized work, but blew my
          largest drop on them for a set of round-ended carving gouges (around
          140$) and misc, Flex-cut tools. They also offer (at least in-
          store) a 10 or 20% discount on all wood-working books)

          So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad' just that when ya get to
          looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
          heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.

          I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
          especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
          awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
          destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
          (The parking situation in that area is a pure nightmare during the
          holidays. The store has a parking lot, but general and shopping
          traffic is a horror as most other parking is on the street, and all
          traffic inches. Lovely area to shop in in the spring,...all kinds
          of unique shops on either side of the road, and cafe's. It was
          something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton John
          has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
          Shara
        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
            And My personal favorite "Woodcarverssupply.com" (but I don't recall
            if they have spokeshaves or not,.....I ususally haunt them for
            reasonably priced carving tools and books, and good service)
            Shara

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Alessandro dEste"
            <avalonbear@h...> wrote:
            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
            > <baronconal@y...> wrote:
            > > > My Good Baron Conal.
            > Im not sure if they have a store near you.
            > But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
            > They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side)
            wich
            > is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I
            would
            > check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality
            tool
            > wich I found to reasonable in cost.
            > IYS
            > Alessandro d'Este,
            > Ast,Signet
            > Barony of Sternfeld
            >
            > www.woodcraft.com
          • marc adkins
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004

              Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
              tools)

              So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad'  just that when ya get to
              looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
              heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.
              One of thier broad axes is what I'm looking at getting next.
              I'm not really a joiner of cabnetmaker yet. I'm mainly looking into dropping a tree and turning it into basic simple items needed for medieval life. currently trying to turn a seasoned black locust trunk into a shaving horse. I have to buck it right now kinda procrastinating on it right now and enjoying the semester break.

              I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
              especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
              awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
              destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
              \SNIP
              I Live in Central Oklahoma. However I might be Making it to atlanta Georgia this summer to attend a professionnal conference. Unfortunately my expenses there will not include tools.

              .  It was
              something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton John
              has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.

              Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
              Shara
              Marc Adkins
              Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • windsingersmoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
                your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
                of it)(but within sight of Highland) We Never go to one place,
                without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
                we're in the neighborhood. The bookstore is just an old house.
                Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
                inside boggles the mind!!!! And coming from someone with around
                10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
                Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
                what he buys from folks.

                Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
                Shara

                > . It was
                > something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton
                John
                > has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                >
                > Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                > Shara
                >
                > Marc Adkins
                > Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

                -----------

              • marc adkins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Heck of a snip job.
                  For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                  Marc Adkins
                  > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
                  your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
                  of it)(but within sight of Highland)   We Never go to one place,
                  without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
                  we're in the neighborhood.  The bookstore is just an old house.
                  Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
                  inside boggles the mind!!!!   And coming from someone with around
                  10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
                  Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
                  what he buys from folks.

                  Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
                  Shara

                  >   .  It was
                  >   something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton
                  John
                  >   has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                  >
                  >   Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                  >   Shara
                  >
                  >   Marc Adkins
                  >   Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

                • windsingersmoon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                    <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                    > Heck of a snip job.
                    > For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                    > Marc Adkins
                    Wooops, sorry about that.
                    my snipping is obviously sloppy.
                    I'm better with hard-copy wood tools