RE: [MedievalSawdust] Design Software Suggestion??

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2010
      On Wed, August 18, 2010 6:27 am, Bill McNutt wrote:
      > I find that I am more likely to explore alternatives if all I have to do
      > is select "undo," instead of erase.
      >

      > Plus, it's a lot cheaper to make errors on the computer and see them
      > rendered than it is to make them on the curly maple in the shop.
      >

      > My bench doesn't have an "undo" function.

      Hell, I want one of those for my _life_, some days!

      Actually, one of the neatest things about forging as opposed to stock
      removal is the way you _can_ undo a lot of moves. It's easy to bend the
      piece to a different angle, or back to straight. With a little more
      effort, you can make the thin piece thick again. You can even weld up the
      split or the hole you punched. "Cut it twice and it's still too short" is
      irritating either way, but still more fixable with metal than with wood,
      and if you do screw up beyond repair, steel is still a hell of a lot
      cheaper than curly maple.

      Ulfhedinn

      who's already struck too far into a log and graunched my lovely new
      handmade splitting-maul handle :-(
    • erik_mage
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2010
        I'm with ulfindenn, or how ever you spellit

        Steel is a great way to bend shape re shape or fabricate.
        It sounds a little like the project is still in the speculation stage.

        Having worked many years in the "creative" side of theater , boating, and home building. ( just qualifying my opinion)
        This rolling house concept to be most atractive to the owner. Will require a lot of personal attention that a computer program would not suport. Maybe it is too easy for me to just sketch a variety of ellements and then put that idea into practice.. If thats the case then I apologise.
        Color and texture is the key to a sucessful appearance, Getting the outside view correct will make up for any short commings of shape or form.
        The practical floor plan can eaisly be found with a visit to your local trailer RV dealer. This will give you a real life floor plan, that works ,experiance. There will no doubt be a plan available. Knowing engineers as I do they can't help but make the plans exactly to scale. Blow them up and draw in your supports. Make a simple materials list and get to work.!
        "realize your Dreams" this is my own quote . It means you need to DO THE WORK or all you will ever have is a dream. I will be very willing to give helpfull sugestions any time I can.
        (I have a lot of my own dreams as well)
      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 23, 2010
          On Wed, August 18, 2010 5:50 am, Megan Shogren wrote:

          > I've been ogling some of the "icehouse" trailer frames- where the wheels
          > retract to let the frame sit flush on the ice.  Haven't found one yet with
          > the weight capacity I'd need for a merchant booth, but it's nice to dream
          > about pulling on site, unhitching, dropping the frame, and opening the
          > doors, instead of hours lugging and unpacking totes...

          Have you considered skirts instead? I've been thinking of a trailer/booth
          myself, and rather than jacking the whole frame it seemed simpler to just
          have appropriate-looking skirts that went around at ground level. They
          could be hinged, folding up for travel and down for camp, or stacked
          inside and put in place with wingnuts or clips. That way you wouldn't
          have to worry about trailer weight.

          Ulfhedinn
        • Megan Shogren
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 23, 2010
            I have, but I would prefer to avoid having steps up into the booth.  A 6" ledge could be bridged with a relatively short ramp, and someone with a cane or crutches (or hoop skirts!) could negotiate it reasonably well even without, but 2-3 actual steps would be quite another matter.  My degree is in interior design, so I tend to think about not just physical access but visual- something with a wide, open, ground-level entryway is far more inviting for the casual passer-by to enter than a narrow entry with steps.   That's one reason I insisted on the extra money to make our tent with 7' walls- the shorter tent walls (and thus lower dagging) shut off sight lines into the booth for most people, and nobody wants to have to duck through doorways.  The SCA seems to skew toward taller-than-average men.

            Now what would be really cool is if I could figure out how to make a pop-up second story to be really medieval and sleep above our shop... perhaps pull-down attic-stairs along with hydraulic jacks in each corner between the second story floor joists and the roof, with the finished effect being something like the step-back Tudor houses...

            -Kat Ferneley