spokeshaves

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
      Anyone found a maker of spokehsaves
      that is quality and reasonable? Or
      knows of a brand to avoid like the
      plague?

      I need a straight and a concave curved
      shave and don't want to spend more than
      I have to. I'm willing to spend what I need
      to spend to get a good tool, just not more
      than I have to....

      I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
      Valley as a source....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
        LV makes a modern version of the Stanley Razor Edge spokeshave. I've never
        used the LV one, and it's aluminum bodied, but I hear good things about it.
        I LOVE my Stanley Razor edge-s.

        Or buy a blade from Hock tools and make your own in an hour or so.

        http://www.shavings.net/teachshave.htm

        and

        http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm

        I have to. I'm willing to spend what I need
        to spend to get a good tool, just not more
        than I have to....

        I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
        Valley as a source....

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
          Highland Hardware might oughtta be a last resort.
          They are HIGH !

          Ya might wanna try the antique malls for some far more reasonably
          priced.
          That's where I get most of my old tools to work with.
          If the tool appears in reasonably good shape, and the wood is sound,
          the steel is good. the tool itself usually is. I, personally like a
          tool that looks like it has been used. An old one, that appears
          hardly used, always seems like someone set it aside because it was a
          bad-working tool, but no-one had the heart to disgard it.

          In the hands of an experienced woodworker, something like a (sound)
          drawknife or a spokeshave generally works okay, because the
          craftsman knows how to hold and use it's blade to get it to do what
          they need from it.
          S. (that said, I have a new, curved spokeshave, I wish to high-
          heaven I'd tried to use soon after it's purchase, when I could still
          return it,.....alas, that wasn't soon enough, and I avoid it at all
          costs, in favor of older tools, which seem to be made far better)

          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > Anyone found a maker of spokehsaves
          > that is quality and reasonable? Or
          > knows of a brand to avoid like the
          > plague?
          >
          > I need a straight and a concave curved
          > shave and don't want to spend more than
          > I have to. I'm willing to spend what I need
          > to spend to get a good tool, just not more
          > than I have to....
          >
          > I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
          > Valley as a source....
          >
          > =====
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          > http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • marc adkins
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
            Actually I Have two of Highland Hardware's Spokeshaves that I think I paid around Twenty Dollars apiece for.
            Use them to turn down hardwood walking sticks and quarterstaves. Haven't had a problem outta both of them
            Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

            <baronconal@y...> wrote:
            > Anyone found a maker of spokehsaves
            > that is quality and reasonable? Or
            > knows of a brand to avoid like the
            > plague?
            >
            > I need a straight and a concave curved
            > shave and don't want to spend more than
            > I have to. I'm willing to spend what I need
            > to spend to get a good tool, just not more
            > than I have to....
            >
            > I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
            > Valley as a source....
            >
            > =====
            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
            >
            >    Aude Aliquid Dignum
            >      ' Dare Something Worthy '

          • Andrew Lowry
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2003
              Reading the LV catalogue they speak highly of the design of their
              spokeshave (well big surprise its their catalogue) the next page over
              they have contour planes which they describe as 'simple small shaves'
              with 1 1/2 & 2 1/2 inch blades - item 07P13.50 if looking on their web
              site - $27.50 Cdn so it you are doing small work that might meet your
              needs. And yeah if you don't like their product they will refund your
              money and shipping costs both ways.

              Richard

              On 31-Dec-03, at 5:55 PM, C N Schwartz wrote:

              > LV makes a modern version of the Stanley Razor Edge spokeshave.  I've
              > never
              > used the LV one, and it's aluminum bodied, but I hear good things
              > about it.
              > I LOVE my Stanley Razor edge-s.
              >
              > Or buy a blade from Hock tools and make your own in an hour or so.
              >
              > http://www.shavings.net/teachshave.htm
              >
              > and
              >
              > http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm

            • Lord Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                > Anyone found a maker of spokehsaves
                > that is quality and reasonable? Or
                > knows of a brand to avoid like the
                > plague?
                > I'm leaning towards Highland Hardware or Lee
                > Valley as a source....
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                My Good Baron Conal.
                Im not sure if they have a store near you.
                But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
                They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side) wich
                is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I would
                check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality tool
                wich I found to reasonable in cost.
                IYS
                Alessandro d'Este,
                Ast,Signet
                Barony of Sternfeld

                www.woodcraft.com
              • C N Schwartz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
                  One other thing. Modern metal spokeshave and old style wooden ones cut
                  differently because of the blade angle. The metal ones (like Record) are
                  essentially planes, while the old style one slice like a drawknife. You get
                  the same effect on the end product, so choice is a personal preference. But
                  let's say you want to get a modern style metal one (modern meaning 19th
                  Century....), then get the Record one with adjustable blades, they are
                  cheap. The Kunz ones are horribly made, rough castings, inferior lever
                  caps.

                  Old style, but modern construction is Veritas:
                  http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=4490&gift
                  =False&mscssid=1D266A68A60C40049EEFFA2E51DC74B3

                  Modern style Record (blue)
                  http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/default.php/cPath/96_410

                  Those are $50 or less. Next step up is $100 or more. THAT's another
                  conversation.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
                    <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                    > Actually I Have two of Highland Hardware's Spokeshaves that I
                    think I paid around Twenty Dollars apiece for.
                    > Use them to turn down hardwood walking sticks and quarterstaves.
                    Haven't had a problem outta both of them
                    > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried

                    Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
                    tools)

                    I really hadn't looked at their spokeshaves, as I already had
                    several.
                    The older ones being my favorites.
                    The best deal I got from them was a set of Sheffield scrapers for
                    under/around, 15$. (and my Japanese razor saw, which I absolutely
                    Swear by, and refuse to use any other kind! It will easily rip
                    lumber with one side, or go through a Pt 4x4 like butter !!!)
                    I also got a few unique 'stamps' for specialized work, but blew my
                    largest drop on them for a set of round-ended carving gouges (around
                    140$) and misc, Flex-cut tools. They also offer (at least in-
                    store) a 10 or 20% discount on all wood-working books)

                    So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad' just that when ya get to
                    looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
                    heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.

                    I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
                    especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
                    awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
                    destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
                    (The parking situation in that area is a pure nightmare during the
                    holidays. The store has a parking lot, but general and shopping
                    traffic is a horror as most other parking is on the street, and all
                    traffic inches. Lovely area to shop in in the spring,...all kinds
                    of unique shops on either side of the road, and cafe's. It was
                    something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton John
                    has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                    Shara
                  • windsingersmoon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                      And My personal favorite "Woodcarverssupply.com" (but I don't recall
                      if they have spokeshaves or not,.....I ususally haunt them for
                      reasonably priced carving tools and books, and good service)
                      Shara

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Alessandro dEste"
                      <avalonbear@h...> wrote:
                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
                      > <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                      > > > My Good Baron Conal.
                      > Im not sure if they have a store near you.
                      > But I would like to reccomend www.woodcraft.com
                      > They have a new store In The Indianapolis area(North east side)
                      wich
                      > is wonderful.for spokehsaves that are quality and reasonable I
                      would
                      > check them out. I have seen what they carry and they are quality
                      tool
                      > wich I found to reasonable in cost.
                      > IYS
                      > Alessandro d'Este,
                      > Ast,Signet
                      > Barony of Sternfeld
                      >
                      > www.woodcraft.com
                    • marc adkins
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004

                        Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 11:00 AM

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "marc adkins"
                        <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                        SNIP
                        > > Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
                        >  ****************************************************

                        Wonderful!!! (that's good to hear, they're usually so high on their
                        tools)

                        So,I'm not saying the place is 'bad'  just that when ya get to
                        looking at their assorted axes and adz (s) etc. ya kinda go into
                        heart failure at the idea of spending that kind-of money.
                        One of thier broad axes is what I'm looking at getting next.
                        I'm not really a joiner of cabnetmaker yet. I'm mainly looking into dropping a tree and turning it into basic simple items needed for medieval life. currently trying to turn a seasoned black locust trunk into a shaving horse. I have to buck it right now kinda procrastinating on it right now and enjoying the semester break.

                        I don't know where ya live, but the store itself is a delight,
                        especially up-stairs. (where the books, etc. are) I haven't been for
                        awhile,.....but now that the holidays are past, It might be a good
                        destination for our next venture into the Big City to go 'Shopping'
                        \SNIP
                        I Live in Central Oklahoma. However I might be Making it to atlanta Georgia this summer to attend a professionnal conference. Unfortunately my expenses there will not include tools.

                        .  It was
                        something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton John
                        has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.

                        Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                        Shara
                        Marc Adkins
                        Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • windsingersmoon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                          <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                          > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
                          your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
                          of it)(but within sight of Highland) We Never go to one place,
                          without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
                          we're in the neighborhood. The bookstore is just an old house.
                          Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
                          inside boggles the mind!!!! And coming from someone with around
                          10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
                          Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
                          what he buys from folks.

                          Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
                          Shara

                          > . It was
                          > something of an artistic community back during the 70s. Elton
                          John
                          > has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                          >
                          > Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                          > Shara
                          >
                          > Marc Adkins
                          > Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

                          -----------

                        • marc adkins
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                            Heck of a snip job.
                            For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                            Marc Adkins
                            > If you do, and you're into 'books' ('I'am) then be sure to poke
                            your nose into the little bookshop just down the street (other side
                            of it)(but within sight of Highland)   We Never go to one place,
                            without going to the other, even if we go in nothing else while
                            we're in the neighborhood.  The bookstore is just an old house.
                            Nothing unique/un-usual about it, but the THOUSANDS of used books
                            inside boggles the mind!!!!   And coming from someone with around
                            10,000 books, I can honestly say this shop had Far more,...and
                            Really good ones at good prices, as the owner is Very picky about
                            what he buys from folks.

                            Hmmmmmm think I've just talked myself into a trip to Atlanta......<G>
                            Shara

                            >   .  It was
                            >   something of an artistic community back during the 70s.  Elton
                            John
                            >   has a house a bit up the street, or still did, last I heard.
                            >
                            >   Sounds like an intresting place, maybe I'll make it come summer
                            >   Shara
                            >
                            >   Marc Adkins
                            >   Ld. Wilhelm von Winkleried

                          • windsingersmoon
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                              <Winkleried@o...> wrote:
                              > Heck of a snip job.
                              > For the record I didn't write any of the below message.
                              > Marc Adkins
                              Wooops, sorry about that.
                              my snipping is obviously sloppy.
                              I'm better with hard-copy wood tools