Re: [MedievalSawdust] Greek Fire

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      I thought there was pretty conclusive evidence that it was distilled naptha and limestone dust?

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM, <nelsonhaynes@...> wrote:

      From what I have heard, the formula for Greek fire has been lost for all time. It's a shame.

      Master Nigel

    • AqA WyrdWynd
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

        now ive done mine own rendition < not original but combustably fun...in a quarry mind you though >...with shaved several bars of lux soap, blend of alcohol and lamp oil and kerosene< ive used cigarette lighter fluid too> cant rember the formula...gotta look it up in my Henley's

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          I believe Greek fire become MORE combustable with the addition of water didn't it?

          bucket brigade?  No I don't think so.

          Aiden

          "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
          --Benjamin Franklin--

          im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

        • Colleen Vince

            --
            Mary Ostler
            Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
              Ooo. Glass!!
              From: Colleen Vince <42vince@...>
              Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:59:52 -0700
              To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010

                I guess I’m just more concerned that there be an ABC fire extinguisher on the engine.  Greek Fire + Wood = Bad juju.

                Now, on the slightly more “doing it just because” side…

                I would go for something like Napalm (naptha flakes soaked in gas basically) or white phosphorus to re-create the effect.   Each one has its own control issues, especially the willy pete.

                Anyone else care to add more fuel to the fire?

                Bercilak

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                  no it did increase just didnt sink or go out, floated

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                    okay, sand buckets...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                      heheh...i failling miserable okay,m,, marshmallows and sticks then...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                        That sounds like red phosphorus- water will smother white phosphorus.

                        Erik Baird