Greek Fire

  • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      From what I have heard, the formula for Greek fire has been lost for all time. It's a shame.

      Master Nigel
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        I thought there was pretty conclusive evidence that it was distilled naptha and limestone dust?

        On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM, <nelsonhaynes@...> wrote:

        From what I have heard, the formula for Greek fire has been lost for all time. It's a shame.

        Master Nigel

      • AqA WyrdWynd
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

          now ive done mine own rendition < not original but combustably fun...in a quarry mind you though >...with shaved several bars of lux soap, blend of alcohol and lamp oil and kerosene< ive used cigarette lighter fluid too> cant rember the formula...gotta look it up in my Henley's

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            I believe Greek fire become MORE combustable with the addition of water didn't it?

            bucket brigade?  No I don't think so.

            Aiden

            "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
            --Benjamin Franklin--

            im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

          • Colleen Vince

              --
              Mary Ostler
              Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                Ooo. Glass!!
                From: Colleen Vince <42vince@...>
                Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:59:52 -0700
                To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010

                  I guess I’m just more concerned that there be an ABC fire extinguisher on the engine.  Greek Fire + Wood = Bad juju.

                  Now, on the slightly more “doing it just because” side…

                  I would go for something like Napalm (naptha flakes soaked in gas basically) or white phosphorus to re-create the effect.   Each one has its own control issues, especially the willy pete.

                  Anyone else care to add more fuel to the fire?

                  Bercilak

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                    no it did increase just didnt sink or go out, floated

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                      okay, sand buckets...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                        heheh...i failling miserable okay,m,, marshmallows and sticks then...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                          That sounds like red phosphorus- water will smother white phosphorus.

                          Erik Baird