Greek Fire

  • Chuck Belitz
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      Has anyone developed a workable
      formula for Greek Fire to be launched
      from your siege engines?
      Sir Karl von Belitz

    • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        From what I have heard, the formula for Greek fire has been lost for all time. It's a shame.

        Master Nigel
      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          I thought there was pretty conclusive evidence that it was distilled naptha and limestone dust?

          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM, <nelsonhaynes@...> wrote:

          From what I have heard, the formula for Greek fire has been lost for all time. It's a shame.

          Master Nigel

        • AqA WyrdWynd
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

            now ive done mine own rendition < not original but combustably fun...in a quarry mind you though >...with shaved several bars of lux soap, blend of alcohol and lamp oil and kerosene< ive used cigarette lighter fluid too> cant rember the formula...gotta look it up in my Henley's

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
              I believe Greek fire become MORE combustable with the addition of water didn't it?

              bucket brigade?  No I don't think so.

              Aiden

              "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
              --Benjamin Franklin--

              im more worried about who pissed this gentlelord off,..... greek fire..???.. from a seige machine ...???....me thinks we need to invest in a  " Ye Ode Bucket Brigade"....

            • Colleen Vince

                --
                Mary Ostler
                Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Ooo. Glass!!
                  From: Colleen Vince <42vince@...>
                  Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:59:52 -0700
                  To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010

                    I guess I’m just more concerned that there be an ABC fire extinguisher on the engine.  Greek Fire + Wood = Bad juju.

                    Now, on the slightly more “doing it just because” side…

                    I would go for something like Napalm (naptha flakes soaked in gas basically) or white phosphorus to re-create the effect.   Each one has its own control issues, especially the willy pete.

                    Anyone else care to add more fuel to the fire?

                    Bercilak

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                      no it did increase just didnt sink or go out, floated

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                        okay, sand buckets...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                          heheh...i failling miserable okay,m,, marshmallows and sticks then...

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                            That sounds like red phosphorus- water will smother white phosphorus.

                            Erik Baird