Re: [MedievalSawdust] New World woods brought to Europe?

  • Megan Shogren
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
      Aha!  Well, almost.  Take a look at the stool- second picture from the bottom.  "Rosewood and Brazilian Padoukwood, c. 1580"  Now, if only they'd been specific about its origin, whether it was colonial or European...  The article talks about the timber trade briefly, but I was looking for primary sources.

      The V&A also has an Italian box with mahogany inlay (16th century)

      There are a bunch of other inlaid items, but most are inlaid with ebony or rosewood or padouk, which can't be definitively pinned down as New World.  There's a German cabinet c.1600 that mentions an inlay of "tulip-wood"- intriguing in that two of three modern uses refer to American trees- tulip poplar and the Brazilian Dalbergia decipularis, and the third refers to an Australian tree (which I would imagine we could rule out).

      -Kat Ferneley