wood burning an archery bow

  • erik_mage
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29 12:43 PM
      It is very important not to damage the "Back" (the part facing the target) However you may do wood burnig on the Belly (the part facing you) Just becarfull not to go very deep you might change the tillering of the bow. I would advise that any artwork on the bow arms be duplicated top and bottom. The handle area is open for a great deal of artwork allowing some sculpting.
      The handle area is better to add than it is to cut . Keep in mind the area under your knuckles is suseptable to splitting if you gouge it.
      For example if you wanted to checker the hand grip you must add a thin piece of soft wood over the sensitive area. Then cut your checkering, but don't cut into the "Back".

      A good place to add a little pizzaz is on the bow tips like paint or ribbons.

      You can use BOILED linseed oil with artist 's oil paints for coloring. If you add a little alkyd resin spar varnish to oil ( 50/50) just for the painted parts . You will have a durable paint job .
      I want to point out I am not an archery expert. But when it comes to paints and wood I have a whole lot of experiance.
      I will post this on -line.
      ERIK ' mage Castle Dragonwyck Glenn Linn EK