Medieval Spice Boxes?

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 2010
      Rowan de la Garnisson (too many titles to list!) informs me that
      medieval cooks had some sort of traveling spice box, with spices
      wrapped in vellum & kept in cubbyholes. It sounds rather like a
      briefcase version of a typesetter's box, but of course, without a
      picture, I'm just guessing.

      Has anyone run across depictions of such?

      I'm also interested in depictions of camp cooking setups & field
      kitchens, in general, BTW.

      TIA, and safe travels to all coming to PW!

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies."
      //|\\ - Bruce, straightrazorplace.com
    • Broom
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12 7:44 AM
      • 1 Attachment
      • 107 KB
      Found one! Identified as a spice box by my sweetie, at least. Seems
      reasonable to me. Can't think of anything else it could be.

      In our photos section, under the "Kitchen with portable spice box" folder:

      OR
      http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah

      The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an
      //|\\ open sewer and die." - Mel Brooks

      On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Broom <iambroom@...> wrote:
      > Rowan de la Garnisson (too many titles to list!) informs me that
      > medieval cooks had some sort of traveling spice box, with spices
      > wrapped in vellum & kept in cubbyholes. It sounds rather like a
      > briefcase version of a typesetter's box, but of course, without a
      > picture, I'm just guessing.
      >
      > Has anyone run across depictions of such?
      >
      > I'm also interested in depictions of camp cooking setups & field
      > kitchens, in general, BTW.
      >
      > TIA, and safe travels to all coming to PW!
      >
      > ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      > ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
      > ' |   9370 Shadduck Rd,  McKean, PA 16426
      > '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
      > '/|\  "Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies."
      > //|\\ - Bruce, straightrazorplace.com

    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12 7:47 AM

        On 12 Sep 2010, at 9:44 AM, Broom wrote:

        > http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah
        >
        > The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

        Looks like a box that I've seen in modern kitchens and stores, for storing bagged teas and separating them by flavors. I now want to get one, to be the first "really medieval" thing in my camp kitchen!
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Helen Schultz
        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12 8:00 AM

          Looks like you've found it!!  What time period?  14th or 15th c??  Should be fairly easy to duplicate.  I think I've recently seen a photo (not an illumination) of someone using something similar for dry pigment paint colors, too... but theirs was individual wooden boxes, not set up like this one in a single box.  Way cool.

          ~~ Katarina Helene
          Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
          Middle Kingdom

          The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12 8:05 AM
            would someone email me the picture directly at itsatrap@...?  it appears i cannot remember my yahoo email.

            On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:47 AM, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Broom <iambroom@...> wrote:
            >> Rowan de la Garnisson (too many titles to list!) informs me that medieval cooks had some sort of traveling spice box, with spices wrapped in vellum & kept in cubbyholes. [snip] Has anyone run across depictions of such?

            On 12 Sep 2010, at 9:44 AM, Broom wrote:

            > http://tinyurl.com/2f7vsah
            >
            > The spicebox is on the table to the left, at the far side.

            Looks like a box that I've seen in modern kitchens and stores, for storing bagged teas and separating them by flavors. I now want to get one, to be the first "really medieval" thing in my camp kitchen!
            D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            dvorah@...
            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar

          • julian wilson
            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13 8:13 AM
              While my Lady and I were equipping our own encampment, 2004 through 2007, we found two small, 4-drawer spice-coffer" units in an Indian Crafts' Shop. They were ridiculously cheap, so mcu so that I bought the pair, rather than goikng to the trouble of making something similar in my own Woodworking Shop.
               However, if one has access to a small tablesaw [ i.e. - a little becnhtop unti, - making such a little spice coffer would be an excellent way of using-up small offcuts of timber from other projects, because so much of the cutting will be repetitive. And since the weight of dried spices is negligable, you can use thin offcuts, glued and pinned, together to make the compartments and/or sliding drawers. The whole coffer does not need to be very strong. And the period-appearance is external, and can be achieved by painting.

              YiS,
               Matthewe Baker,
              "old" Jersey
              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13 8:21 AM

                Yeah – I’ve bought similar items.  The only drawback is that I find myself constantly explaining that “no, I didn’t make that.”

                Will

                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13 8:37 AM
                  Will,
                  at my age it's a trade-off between getting something else for our encampment, quickly and off-the-shelf,  - [since 90% of the people who look at our encampment set-ups are so historically ignorant they cannot identify objects to within a century, let-alone to within a Kingdom & Reign] - and juggling my workshop "Jobs-to-do List" in the awareness that God may call me Home anytime.
                   I probably have far-more "Like-to-do Projects" in my Planner Files, than He will ever allow me time to finish!
                  So I admit, I tend to choose the "quick-to-finish" Projects over the ones which I know will take a substantial number of my labour hours to complete.
                  And I tend to avoid handwork if I can produce the same result with power tools simply to save labour-hours,  - because I know I can do almost anything by hand, and don't  - these days - have to prove my Craft Skills to anyone.

                   Yrs, cordially,
                   Matthewe Baker

                • cjanoch@mindspring.com
                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13 8:38 AM
                    Ah - the curse of being a recognized artist. ;-)

                    From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                    Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:21:17 -0400
                    To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13 3:46 PM
                      Katarina Helene
                      > Looks like you've found it!!  What time period?  14th or 15th c??

                      I'd guess late 15th or 16th, from the dress, but don't have any other
                      info... Waitaminnet... Checking TinEye.com...

                      1577, according to this site:
                      http://www.ooegeschichte.at/showpic.php?file=uploads%2Fpics%2FKueche_Herd.jpg&width=645m&height=630m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgcolor%3D%22black%22%3E&title=Multimediainformation&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20|%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=0512c8d690760af9a56a0038193470e8
                      OR
                      http://tinyurl.com/2wlw9th

                      Parent page:
                      http://www.ooegeschichte.at/Kueche_und_Tischkultur_im_Spaetmittelalt.1108.0.html

                      Caption:
                      Küche in der frühen Neuzeit
                      Datierung: 1577 Material: Holzschnitt

                      (Kitchen in the early modern period
                      Date: 1577 Material: Woodcut)

                      (Also, I replied offline to "leaking pen" itsatrap@... for a
                      request to send the picture directly.)

                      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
                      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
                      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
                      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
                      '/|\ "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a
                      //|\\ lack of confidence." - Doug McLeod
                    • Helen Schultz
                      Message 11 of 11 , Sep 13 6:10 PM

                        Thanks... I was thinking much earlier, I guess <sheepish grin>.

                        I also replied to her... sent her the image, as I'd saved it to my computer for future use.

                        ~~ Katarina Helene