Wood In Heraldry

  • sirtsclan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
      My Introduction

      I love heraldry and from another forum and discovered your Yahoo Groups last night. See "wood" heraldry in Photos.

      Until a few minutes ago I had no idea this fellow (below) existed but sure he wouldn't mind our seeing his work. Never heard of this kind of heraldry example before. In the back of my mind there probably was a need for this very thing long ago. Will have to study more but pretty sure ships had ornate carvings.

      "Heraldic Wood Carvings, by ROTH INTERNATIONAL -- We proudly present handcarved coats of arms, made out of pure old teak wood. The arms can be left natural, as seen below, or painted with acrylic paint and gold and silver leaf, as seen above."

      http://members.tripod.com/dr_roth/index-Rothheraldcarv.html

      Gary
    • sirtsclan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
        Members,

        I found another artist with the Internet site of Woodworking and Heraldry and posted another couple of images in Photos. Apparently a wood base was necessary for signs and ornamentation as well.

        Will keep a lookout for more wood heraldry.

        Gary
        _______

        I love heraldry and from another forum and discovered your Yahoo Groups last night. See "wood" heraldry in Photos.

        Until a few minutes ago I had no idea this fellow (below) existed but sure he wouldn't mind our seeing his work. Never heard of this kind of heraldry example before. In the back of my mind there probably was a need for this very thing long ago. Will have to study more but pretty sure ships had ornate carvings.

        "Heraldic Wood Carvings, by ROTH INTERNATIONAL -- We proudly present handcarved coats of arms, made out of pure old teak wood. The arms can be left natural, as seen below, or painted with acrylic paint and gold and silver leaf, as seen above."

        http://members.tripod.com/dr_roth/index-Rothheraldcarv.html

        Gary
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
          Carven Heraldry in wood?
          England, France, and Sweden have a number of carvers who execute work of this kind.
          The jersey heritage Trust recently commissioned some small display-shields from an Island woodcarver for Gorey Castle; Brittany, just across the water, has Carvers who do work for replica historic Sailing ships. The French Naby Dockyard at Brest [ known as "La Royale"] has a woodworking mworkshop which includes amongst it services the carving of Ships Plaques, as well as patterns for various types of metal casting. And the various builders of replica historic ships in Scandinavia have no trouble finding carvers who will execute carven Stem & stern-post carvings for replica longships - the recent Viking replica named "Sea Stallion" is an example.
          I believe there is a Carver on the isle of Wight who supplies replica Figureheads for restored RN ships - if memnory serves, he carved the replica figurehad for "HMS Warrior"[1861] now on show just off the Hard at Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, j7st outside the entrance to the Historic Section of Portsmouth Dockyard.

          Your posting caught my eye because I'm in the middle of carving some replica wooden gutters from cedar for the restoration of "Blanche Piere House" in our island. I had a hell of a difficult job finding some gutter planes and adzes for the job, too. [Last time I handmade some replacement gutters like this was over 30 years ago!] If my replacements last as long as the rotten ones taken down, which I used as patterns, - I'll be happy wherever God has me stashed in 200 yrs time! And I counted over 150 growth rings across the butt end of one rotten section - so the pine from which the originals were made was at least that old when it was cut. I managed to salvage quite a bit of the pine from the sound sections - which I've stored away until i can find a sutiable project for it.  It's a hell of a feeling to know that you've got 350yrs-old timber on your workbench, - to form into a new Piece which may be cherished by people yet unborn, long after God has called one home!

          Cordially,
          Julian Wilson,
           [aka Matthew Baker in the SCA]

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
            Julian,

            Outstanding post that I may have to lift for another forum.

            Doing hands-on anything puts you into the picture. That's coming from a heraldry guy. Too funny.

            I started doing woodwork when in my twenties and know what you mean about a sense of accomplishment.

            Gary

[...]

          • kirkdrago
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 2010
              As soon as I get a day off (next week) I'll post some pics of the work I've done with heraldry. I'm using marquetry to create inlays for boxlids mostly.

              Kirk