Re: [medievalsawdust] watermills and windmills

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2003
      >That's nice, and there is evidence, according to the History channel,
      >that the Greeks had a mechanical clock millenia before a similar device
      >was created, post Renaissance. But the Greeks could have also invented
      >Windows XP, but that doesn't matter, as there is no continuity of use of
      >XP, or fine tooth gearing in mechanical clocks, or steam engines.

      Nah, Greek culture was far too advanced to invent XP.

      But you raise a good point. The presence of an invention or technology in
      one place/time is not necessarily evidence for its use in a later
      place/time. Even within the European medieval period, what's done in 14th
      century Italy is not necessarily what's done in 15th century Germany. In
      England, for example, water-powered saw mills were adopted much later than
      on the Continent, in part out of fear of displacing sawyers from their
      profession. My own area of study is lathes, and what I generally find is
      while rotary lathes were known relatively early, it was only metal-working
      trades that adopted them pre-17th century. So even the presence of a
      technology does not necessarily mean it was used for all the purposes to
      which we might want to apply it.

      Regards,

      Tom R.

      Tom Rettie tom@...