phishing e-mails I didn't send - [forged headers]

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2010
      Gentles of the List,
      Matthewe Baker apologises to any of you who have lately received a phishing e-mail bearing his  e-mail address [forged].
      I did not send it. And only my Son, - an expert in IT security for the local branch of a BIG foreign bank, - has access to my home-based computer. Even he, only has Dministrators access - he doesn't have my Yahoo.password, and I don't even have Microsoft Outlook installed in this machine.
      My Avast anti-virus Programme swears I have no infected files, and no hacking attacks have been recorded by my System.
      However my entire Address Book has been deleted,  - and someone is forging my e-mail address as an "originator".
      So if you get something in your "Inbox" which seems to originate from me - but with a questionable "subject header" - or none at all save "Re: - " - just delete them without opening.
      I don't know how long it's going to take me to establish a new e-mail identity with higher security than I have at the moment; - so if you get any more phishing e-mails apparently from me - I'm apologising to you all in advance!
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2010
        On Wed, July 7, 2010 12:27 pm, julian wilson wrote:
        > Gentles of the List,
        > Matthewe Baker apologises to any of you who have
        > lately received a phishing e-mail bearing his  e-mail address [forged]. I
        > did not send it. And only my Son, - an expert in IT security for the local
        > branch of a BIG foreign bank, - has access to my home-based computer. Even
        > he, only has Dministrators access - he doesn't have my Yahoo.password,

        Sorry about your address ripoff. Do consider that your security per se
        might be fine--forging the origin of the email could be done, I would
        think, without gaining access to your machine at all, just as someone
        might forge your name and address on paper without ever laying hands on
        your actual pen and writing desk.

        At least you aren't telling us that your son stashed a hundred million of
        that bank's money, and just needs a little help getting out of his
        well-deserved jail cell... Ulfhedinn