Have. To. Share

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
      OK, so you're sitting in your period pavilion, sipping a period
      beverage from a period cup, kicked off your period shoes, and are
      lounging on your period bed, whose period-patterned bedclothes conceal
      a naughty secret - an oh-so-comfortable and portable air mattress.

      And you're thinking, "This is the life! No itchy, scratchy straw tick
      for me! I grow allergic smelling hay..."
      < /Hungarian accent >

      And, besides, air mattresses are period.

      From a 1537 edition of De Re Militari.
      http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8949/1537deremilitariairmatt.jpg

      Stolen from my godmommy Signy Dimmridaela's Facebook Wall.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "Article 42 of the Patriot Act: You do not talk about the Patriot
      //|\\ Act. Oops, sorry - that's Fight Club."
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
        Interesting find. I'm mostly responding to get a subject line on the post that makes some sort of sense when searching.

        In Service to the Dream.
        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
        Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Broom <IAmBroom@...> wrote:

        > OK, so you're sitting in your period pavilion, sipping a period
        > beverage from a period cup, kicked off your period shoes, and are
        > lounging on your period bed, whose period-patterned bedclothes conceal
        > a naughty secret - an oh-so-comfortable and portable air mattress.
        >
        > And you're thinking, "This is the life! No itchy, scratchy straw tick
        > for me! I grow allergic smelling hay..."
        > < /Hungarian accent >
        >
        > And, besides, air mattresses are period.
        >
        > From a 1537 edition of De Re Militari.
        > http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8949/1537deremilitariairmatt.jpg
        >
        > Stolen from my godmommy Signy Dimmridaela's Facebook Wall.
        >
        > ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
        > ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
        > ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
        > '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
        > '/|\ "Article 42 of the Patriot Act: You do not talk about the Patriot
        > //|\\ Act. Oops, sorry - that's Fight Club."

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
          > And, besides, air mattresses are period.
          >
          > From a 1537 edition of De Re Militari.
          > http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8949/1537deremilitariairmatt.jpg

          Woah! That's just pretty darn awesome.

          If you might, can you provide more information on the this 1537 source?
          Any googling I do on 'De Re Militari' brings up a history research
          society named such, instead of a 1537 book of such.

          In looking at the picture, I'm interested in what country this is. The
          title sounds like Italian (and Google Translate says 'oh yeah, that's
          Italian, though I can't translate it')

          Though to my eyes, the garb, the cow-nose shoes, and the S-guards on the
          swords, make these gentles out to appear to be Landsknecht

          Siegfried

        • bsrlee
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
            It's actually Latin, and very roughly means 'About Military Matters' and
            it was written by that great author 'Anon.' some time in or after the
            4th(?) Century A.D. and was held to be a 'Military Classic' in the
            Middle Ages & Renaissance.

            The 1537 date would refer to the date when this particular book was
            printed & illustrated with woodcuts - much earlier hand compiled copies
            exist and it was a pretty 'standard' gift to the sons of the higher
            nobility who were in line to command troops one day.

            It also has a fair number of clever & just plain weird ideas proposed by
            the original compiler - such as the anti-infantry lawn-mower.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney
            Rowany/Lochac

            On 7/07/2010 10:56 PM, Siegfried wrote:
            >> And, besides, air mattresses are period.
            >>
            >> From a 1537 edition of De Re Militari.
            >> http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8949/1537deremilitariairmatt.jpg
            >
            > Woah! That's just pretty darn awesome.
            >
            > If you might, can you provide more information on the this 1537 source?
            > Any googling I do on 'De Re Militari' brings up a history research
            > society named such, instead of a 1537 book of such.
            >
            > In looking at the picture, I'm interested in what country this is. The
            > title sounds like Italian (and Google Translate says 'oh yeah, that's
            > Italian, though I can't translate it')
            >
            > Though to my eyes, the garb, the cow-nose shoes, and the S-guards on the
            > swords, make these gentles out to appear to be Landsknecht
            >
            > Siegfried

          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
              Thank you!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010

                It also has a fair number of clever & just plain weird ideas proposed by
                the original compiler - such as the anti-infantry lawn-mower.

                regards
                Brusi of Orkney
                Rowany/Lochac

                really I haven't seen that one before.... I'll have to try to find that!

                I have a copy of De Re Metallica ( a mining 'encyclopedia' of sorts
                covering metallurgy and mineral industries ) Dover published it I think....

                I wonder how many more 'De Re' books there are.....

                maybe some checking is in order.....