Re: [MedievalSawdust] Type of joinery in 13th C coffret?

  • R. Loos
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
      I haven't found much on the box joint, but I did stumble upon a pretty well done site: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/wood.shtml

      On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 14:01 -0700, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

      Anyone know of examples of the 'box joint'
      or 'finger joint' being used in 'period'?

      Meaning the modern 'box joint' not a joint for
      a box..... lol

      http://www.daveswoodworks.org/Box_Joint_05.JPG

      just curious....

    • Jeffrey Johnson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010

        Box/finger joints are virtually unknown before the advent of modern mass produced furniture. It relies almost completely on the strength of glue to hold together -  something not prudent with animal-derived protien glues.

        Regarding the original question, most coffrets I recollect from that early are nailed, then covered with leather and/or strapped with metal.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
          Ref Box joint- that was what I expected to hear    thanks!

        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
            On Thu, July 1, 2010 1:04 pm, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
            > What would this box have been used for?
            >

            > and the owners place in society would make a difference also.....
            >
            > You could live your entire life in debt trying to
            > maintain the proper 'front' for your rank.....

            Hey, that's not just a 13th Century problem. I grew up surrounded by
            people doing that!

            Ulfhedinn
          • conradh@efn.org
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
              On Thu, July 1, 2010 12:59 pm, Bill Schongar (bschonga) wrote:
              > Hi folks,
              >

              > Does anyone have any references or thoughts for what type of joints
              > would have most commonly been used on a small box or coffret from the 13th
              > century (England or France, if geography matters)?
              >
              > I was thinking of using dovetails or a rabbetted butt joint with
              > dowels, but have been unable to find anything in the books I have on what
              > would be appropriate. Since one of the examples I've seen is covered in
              > leather, it unfortunately didn't help identify the joints.

              I'm looking at several of them in a book a friend picked up for me in
              England years ago. There are a couple of 6-board chests with no obvious
              joinery (without even the usual iron bindings). The photos show the front
              and top of each--the fastenings don't show but the text says they are
              pegged. No mention of corner joinery. Both are from 1360 or so, by
              tree-ring dating of the oak.

              The "Trial of the Pyx" coffer is much larger, made of quarter-sawn (or
              riven?_ oak in a sort of foreshadowing of the paneled construction that
              would become popular a little later. Four heavy vertical planks frame the
              chest, two at front and two in back. The ends, and the lighter horizontal
              boards forming the middles of the front and back, are doweled into these
              big stiles. The end boards are slightly recessed, the three front boards
              are flush with the stiles. The stiles extend slightly at the bottom,
              serving as feet. It has an internal till. Two plain iron strap hinges
              extend clear across the 3-board lid, and hasps are hinged from them that
              engage a pair of internal locks. (There was originally a third hinge,
              strap, hasp and lock, but they have gone missing.) The hardware is
              obviously clinch-nailed, but the text says the rest of the fastenings are
              dowels. Made around 1300.

              The only others I see from your period are one that is nearly and one
              completely iron-bound. They are made of pine and willow, probably to cut
              the weight which will be bothersome with all that metal. No mention of
              joinery, which is probably irrelevant because the iron holds it together.
              (In one, the _wood_ is irrelevant, since the chest is entirely covered
              with sheet metal and bound with iron straps over that!)

              So what I found here, at least, is either doweled or held together by its
              hardware. I know other examples from this era were nailed. If dovetails
              were known (and they go back to ancient Egypt!), they don't seem to be
              common yet; they became so by a couple centuries later. The _Standebuch_
              of Jost Amman (Frankfurt am Main, 1568) shows a number of clearly
              dovetailed chests.

              The book is _Early Chests in Wood and Iron_, a pamphlet from the museum of
              the Public Records Office. (These chests were there because at at least
              one point in their history, they were used to store documents.) Photos
              and text by Celia Jenning. HMSO, London, 1974.

              FWIW, Ulfhedinn
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
                --- On Fri, 2/7/10, conradh@... <conradh@...> wrote:

                On Thu, July 1, 2010 12:59 pm, Bill Schongar (bschonga) wrote:
                > Hi folks,
                >

                > Does anyone have any references or thoughts for what type of joints
                > would have most commonly been used on a small box or coffret from the 13th
                > century (England or France, if geography matters)?

                MUCH GOOD STUFF SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

                The _Standebuch_
                of Jost Amman (Frankfurt am Main, 1568) shows a number of clearly
                dovetailed chests.

                The book is _Early Chests in Wood and Iron_, a pamphlet from the museum of
                the Public Records Office. (These chests were there because at at least
                one point in their history, they were used to store documents.) Photos
                and text by Celia Jenning. HMSO, London, 1974.

                COMMENT

                Gentles of the List,
                 the most detailed examination of a number of late-medieval chests is to be found in the 3rd Volume of the Trust's report on the copntents of the salvaged hulk of the "Mary Rose".
                I know because I was interested in making a replica of the barber Surgeon's Chest.
                In the archeologist's report on that chest, the Expert makes the definitive statement that it is England's earliest-dated extant chest showing dovetails, and suggests that the artifact must have been made in Continental Europe "where dovetailing was a common woodworking technique, apparently unknown - or at least un-used - in the British Isles in the late medieval period".
                Further, deponent sayeth not.
                 Matthewe Baker.
              • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010

                  This is a huge help, thanks! And many thanks to everyone else who has provided input as well – I now have two more books to go find and add to the library.

                  -Liam

> [...]

                  joinery, which is probably irrelevant because the iron holds it together.
                  (In one, the _wood_ is irrelevant, since the chest is entirely covered
                  with sheet metal and bound with iron straps over that!)

                  So what I found here, at least, is either doweled or held together by its
                  hardware. I know other examples from this era were nailed. If dovetails
                  were known (and they go back to ancient Egypt!), they don't seem to be
                  common yet; they became so by a couple centuries later. The _Standebuch_
                  of Jost Amman (Frankfurt am Main, 1568) shows a number of clearly
                  dovetailed chests.

                  The book is _Early Chests in Wood and Iron_, a pamphlet from the museum of
                  the Public Records Office. (These chests were there because at at least
                  one point in their history, they were used to store documents.) Photos
                  and text by Celia Jenning. HMSO, London, 1974.

                • Gille MacDhnouill
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
                    One other source are the so-called medieval "church chests." There's a reprint of a turn-of-the 20th century survey of English chests that illustrates the various joinery (and carving) used on these chests. (http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/cc.htm) Now mind, these are large coffers designed to protect vestments and alms, but you could reasonably extend the methods to smaller boxes. These chests, btw, were mostly thick and wide legs with panels and the floor of the chest let in to groves on the edge and face of the leg. The ends were re-enforced with decorative wooden cross-pieces, and the hinges for the lids were formed from a lid batten and integrated into the back leg, and then almost universally repaired at a later date.

                    Note that some small (and even largish) chests/strongboxes in the 12-14th centuries were made by hollowing out a log segment, and reinforcing the whole thing with iron straps, so there really was no "joinery" per Se.

                    Hope this helps,
                    -----Gille MacDhnouill
                    Working wood in Milton, PA
                    Abhainn Ciach Ghlais, AEthelmearc.

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Schongar (bschonga)" <bschonga@...> wrote:

                    > Hi folks,
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any references or thoughts for what type of joints
                    > would have most commonly been used on a small box or coffret from the
                    > 13th century (England or France, if geography matters)?
                    >
                    > I was thinking of using dovetails or a rabbetted butt joint with
                    > dowels, but have been unable to find anything in the books I have on
                    > what would be appropriate. Since one of the examples I've seen is
                    > covered in leather, it unfortunately didn't help identify the joints.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > -Liam

                  • AlbionWood
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
                      The few from that era that I've seen in museums appeared to have been
                      joined by treenails. Most are also covered with leather and/or gessoed,
                      covering whatever joinery is present... so no reason for fancy woodwork.
                      Rabbeting is probably OK, I know I've seen it on some coffers but
                      not sure of the 13th century. (Really need to get my photos databased.)

                      No dovetails for 13th c. England or France. Despite having been known
                      in the Roman period, and despite a few tantalizing documentary
                      references, these seem to have fallen completely out of use in Northern
                      Europe from the early MA until the 15th century.

                      Cheers,
                      Tim

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2010
                        Early Chests in Wood and Iron

                        and?

                        I think I missed the other title....

                      • i_odlin@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 3, 2010
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
                          > No dovetails for 13th c. England or France. Despite having been
                          > known in the Roman period, and despite a few tantalizing
                          > documentary references, these seem to have fallen completely out
                          > of use in Northern Europe from the early MA until the 15th
                          > century.

                          Aaaaaaaaaaaand we're off! The betting windows are now closed, ladies and gentlemen as the horses are reaching the first quarter-mile post...

                          -Iain
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010
                            Rule 1 - never say never
                            Rule 2 - never say always

                            The best you can say is you do not know of any examples of
                            dovetails in England and France in the 13th century

                            > No dovetails for 13th c. England or France. Despite having been
                            > known in the Roman period, and despite a few tantalizing
                            > documentary references, these seem to have fallen completely out
                            > of use in Northern Europe from the early MA until the 15th
                            > century.

                            Aaaaaaaaaaaand we're off! The betting windows are now closed, ladies and gentlemen as the horses are reaching the first quarter-mile post...

                            -Iain

                          • Eric
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010
                              I agree with both Conal and Tim. While one should be careful to not deal in absolutes (as Conal said), according to every thing I know about extant examples, dovetails were not a common method of joinery in Northern Europe or Britain during the early portions of the SCA period (as Tim said). Tim also alluded to the fact that rare examples will occasionally crop up that would disprove that statement.

                              Let me give an example based on our own period. Are flying cars period for late 20th century? Basically not, but during my whole life (since 1960) there have been different people and companies that have produced single or a small number of working flying cars available for sale. I even saw one operate as a small child at an airshow and owned a small, working, plastic model of that design. So, if someone asked five hundred years from now, if flying cars are period for the late 20th century, what would your answer be?

                              In Service to the Dream,
                              Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                              Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010

                                That it’s an outlier, and a reproduction or a piece of utility gear – but not that it’s a common practice.

                                Will

                                I agree with both Conal and Tim. While one should be careful to not deal in absolutes (as Conal said), according to every thing I know about extant examples, dovetails were not a common method of joinery in Northern Europe or Britain during the early portions of the SCA period (as Tim said). Tim also alluded to the fact that rare examples will occasionally crop up that would disprove that statement.

                                Let me give an example based on our own period. Are flying cars period for late 20th century? Basically not, but during my whole life (since 1960) there have been different people and companies that have produced single or a small number of working flying cars available for sale. I even saw one operate as a small child at an airshow and owned a small, working, plastic model of that design. So, if someone asked five hundred years from now, if flying cars are period for the late 20th century, what would your answer be?

                                In Service to the Dream,
                                Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                                Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid

                                > Rule 1 - never say never
                                > Rule 2 - never say always
                                >
                                > The best you can say is you do not know of any examples of
                                > dovetails in England and France in the 13th century
                                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                >
                                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                                >
                                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com,
                                AlbionWood <albionwood@> wrote:
                                > > No dovetails for 13th c. England or France. Despite having been
                                > > known in the Roman period, and despite a few tantalizing
                                > > documentary references, these seem to have fallen completely out
                                > > of use in Northern Europe from the early MA until the 15th
                                > > century.

                              • Mike from NH
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010
                                  Ok, here is something I did a little looking at, if you can say your mentor traveled, or learned from a traveler, you might want to think about China, according to one reference I found, they've have joints like dovetail joints sence before 1100, here is the link.

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Chinese_wooden_architecture

                                  Yours in Service
                                  Michael De La Coteau
                                  (Michael of the Hill)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010
                                    There are also Egyptian dovetails in BC time.
                                    ( cannot recall any more specific details off the cuff )

                                    Use them or don't... I don't care, but don't invent
                                    'kidnapped by gypsies and sold to Asian pirates'
                                    type stories to try to justify them...

                                    The apprenticed to a master that learned in Japan is
                                    kinda cheesy and 'bad form' in my opinion.

                                  • conradh@efn.org
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 5, 2010
                                      On Mon, July 5, 2010 8:35 am, Eric wrote:
                                      > I agree with both Conal and Tim. While one should be careful to not deal
                                      > in absolutes (as Conal said), according to every thing I know about
                                      > extant examples, dovetails were not a common method of joinery in
                                      > Northern Europe or Britain during the early portions of the SCA period
                                      > (as Tim said). Tim also alluded to the fact that rare examples will
                                      > occasionally crop up that would disprove that statement.
                                      >
                                      > Let me give an example based on our own period. Are flying cars period
                                      > for late 20th century? Basically not, but during my whole life (since
                                      > 1960) there have been different people and companies that have produced
                                      > single or a small number of working flying cars available for sale. I
                                      > even saw one operate as a small child at an airshow and owned a small,
                                      > working, plastic model of that design. So, if someone asked five hundred
                                      > years from now, if flying cars are period for the late 20th century, what
                                      > would your answer be?

                                      Beautifully said!

                                      It's very much an issue for the history of tools, too. In 1505 a
                                      Nuremberg engineer named Loffelholz designed and drew in his notebook a
                                      startlingly advanced workbench for his day--it's about two-thirds of the
                                      way to the sort of cabinetmaker's bench that became common in the Germanic
                                      world by 1700 or so. It had a twin-screw face vise and a fully enclosed,
                                      moving-dog tail vise, with multiple recesses for a planing stop that seem
                                      to have also served as stops for the tail vise.

                                      The trouble comes in figuring out whether anything came of this. Was Herr
                                      Loffelholz a secretive dreamer like Leonardo, filling notebooks with
                                      clever ideas that made no difference because he kept them so secret?

                                      Half a century later, bench vises show up in half a dozen shops in the
                                      _Standebuch_, also from Nuremberg. _Not one_ of those vises look like the
                                      1505 examples, and not one is in any sort of woodworker's shop! They're
                                      metal, and all used by high-end specialty metalworkers. They look like
                                      the ancestors of a blacksmith's leg vise, not any sort of Loffelholz
                                      derivative.

                                      Context: The 1500's were a time in which the south German cities led the
                                      world in metal technology, and in particular seemed to be systematically
                                      exploring uses of screw threads. The first bench vises, the first rifled
                                      guns, the first use of a screw press for printing, and the first use of
                                      threaded fasteners, both wood screws and nuts and bolts--all show up first
                                      in the south German cities, in or just before the first half of the
                                      Sixteenth Century.

                                      So it's like the flying cars, or like asking if internal-combustion motor
                                      vehicles are period for the 19th Century. Of course they are--the first
                                      IC driven car (which the Swiss inventor even called a "char") actually ran
                                      down Swiss roads in 1803! All through that century, various inventors
                                      built things that a) could run, and b) were such a pain in the ass to run
                                      that they never really caught on.

                                      Old-school craftsmen could be awfully conservative. My guess would be
                                      that Loffelholz made a bench like his drawing, for his own use, and tried
                                      to interest woodworkers in it. He himself was a user and contributor to
                                      the exciting new screw technology, the one that led to the metalworking
                                      vises we see illustrated sixty years later. But the woodworkers were used
                                      to their old ways of holding the work, and held back for a while.
                                      _Eventually_ they got the idea too, but unfortunately we have this gap in
                                      the record between 1505 and around 1700. By 1700 the traditional
                                      cabinetmakers bench with all the trimmings was widely used across Germany
                                      and had spread to Scandinavia. Obviously, it developed in Germany
                                      sometime during those two centuries, but on the evidence of the Standebuch
                                      it had not caught on as early as 1565.

                                      This sort of conservatism persisted--in the late 1700's Roubo could
                                      illustrate a cabinetmakers bench, but said the only workers in France who
                                      used them were German emigres! Nuremberg and Paris are not that far
                                      apart--during the 1700's they were connected by regular stagecoach
                                      service. Those benches were still not widely used in England for much
                                      later, and many English cabinetmakers to this day still have no use for
                                      tail vises.

                                      So yeah, you can drive an 1801 Trevethick or an 1803 Rivaz to your Regency
                                      event, and document it. But to be fair and honest, along with it consider
                                      developing the persona of a cutting-edge engineer or mad scientist. Much
                                      the same sorts who were demonstrating the flying car you saw. To
                                      (finally!) get back to dovetails, how about a cover story to go with them,
                                      about travel and training in Germany or the like? And perhaps put in some
                                      other distinctively German features in the woodwork?

                                      Ulfhedinn