Please review: Trestle design

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
    • 23 KB

    Hello,

       Hopefully I get the pictures attached correctly. I need to build 2 pairs of trestles before Pennsic. The taller for kitchen prep and the lower for a table. The taller will be 36" high (plus plank thickness) with a second layer of planks on a low stretcher for holding boxes of cooking gear. (there is some documentation for this on Karen Larsdattirs site but only 1 or 2 examples). Construction will be from 5/4x4 pine for legs and lower stretcher but 3 pieces of laminated 1x4 for the upper rail. Wedges on the lower stretcher should keep the legs from seperating enough for the top rail to slip out if someone lifts by the wrong location (always a problem with break apart furniture) but if not there is a backup plan for pegging the legs in place.

       Front legs are 1/4" off golden ratio for width to height depending if you loo parallel to the ground or perpendiculat to the face. The legs are at 3/12 slope (14.9 something degrees) side to side and 2/12 front to back (9.8 something degrees)

       I'd like opinions on how the ratio looks compared to medieval manuscripts etc. Also if you see anything stupid that I missed or somethng I added that I shouldn't have please speak up.

       Thanks,

    Sean

    Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
      Looks visually OK to me

      Looks like it's ready for prototyping.

      Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
        Do you really need the decorative elements?
      • Sean Powell
        Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
          Nah but the wife wanted something. I have a feeling they may be omitted
          due to time constraints but I wanted to see what they would look like.
          That's the nice thing about blueprints. They can be as fancy as you want
          without actually spending the time to do it. :)

          On 6/10/2010 11:41 PM, Jeff wrote:
          > Do you really need the decorative elements?
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • Tim Bray
          Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2010
            They look pretty nice so far!  Here's a few thoughts:

            1.  Medieval trestles in this style usually seem to have been made with the top board flat and the legs mortised into it.  Which is great if you don't intend to break it down, so most modern repros are made as you have drawn them, with bridle-joints.

            2.  Angling the legs does make it a little more stable, but angling the front legs tends to put them out where you kick them.  Maybe consider vertical front legs and angled back legs?

            3.  If you cut the lower stretcher just a little shorter than it should be (shoulder-to-shoulder, maybe 1/4" short), the legs will be slightly "sprung" against the bridle joints at the top, which may help keep them together when moving the trestles about.

            4.  Of course you need the decorative elements!  And they will be easy to do.

            Good luck, let us know how they work out.

            Cheers,
            Tim

            On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:
            Nah but the wife wanted something. I have a feeling they may be omitted
            due to time constraints but I wanted to see what they would look like.
            That's the nice thing about blueprints. They can be as fancy as you want
            without actually spending the time to do it. :)

            On 6/10/2010 11:41 PM, Jeff wrote:
            > Do you really need the decorative elements?
            >

            > ------------------------------------

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tim Bray
            Message 6 of 6 , Jun 15, 2010
              p.s.  Forgot to mention:  Don't worry about following the "golden section," it's more of a classical and Renaissance thing than a medieval thing.