Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Corner Posts on Beds

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
      Broom, do you have any of Roy Underhill's books?
      Even being years out of the medieval period they are useful

      Woodworking methods didn't really change much until the
      invention of power tools. A Roman era block plane functions
      pretty much the same way as a modern block plane. Drill bits
      have evolved, but a brace and bit still uses the same techniques
      now that it did 100 or 1000 years ago.

      The decorative elements evolved but the methods used to get those
      forms were pretty constant until electricity ( and/or the spinning cutting
      tools of the industrial revolution.... for mass production ) were introduced

      He talks about making some tools in his books that can be used to reproduce
      medieval design elements.