RE: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chairs - Thoughts

    Message 1 of 75 , Jun 2, 2010

      Because my wife likes really cold beer and really cold drinks and fresh meat.

      That trumps all arguments.  There will be a cooler, with ice, to provide these things.

      So I hide it.

      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of conradh@...
      It has a lot to do with why you're doing the event in the first place. If
      you're there to see all your friends, hit them with sticks, or sleep with
      them (and all of these are perfectly fine reasons!) then authenticity is
      pretty much irrelevant to you. Personally, besides the above reasons,
      I've always been most interested in _what was it like back then_? I'm not
      a purist, but a lot of effort people put in seems weirdly misdirected to
      me. My pet example is all the work people go to camouflage ice chests.
      Why? It's _far_ less work to simply learn how to live without
      refrigeration for a few days. Salted or dried meats, dried and the more
      lasting fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, wine, bread--people have lived on
      that for weeks, and lived well. I got a simple food dryer, and find I can
      dry all kinds of ingredients and cook fancy soups, stews and main dishes
      in camp. The time I'm not spending trekking clear across camp, or clear
      back to town, for ice for the damned cooler is there to enjoy--cooking or
      craftwork or just enjoying. _And_ my food setup is less in both weight
      and space than it used to be. Even if you don't like to cook in camp,
      what's wrong with bread, cheese, apples, sausage and beer? I can live
      quite happily on that for longer than most events last--just like
      thousands of my ancestors did.

    • O B Livion
      Message 75 of 75 , Jun 5, 2010
        Of all the possible purposes I co sidered - that wasn't one of them.

        You learn something new every day (if not, what's the point of getting out of bed).

        Sent from my iPhone