Re: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chairs - Thoughts

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 75 , Jun 2, 2010
      Some of my thoughts on the so-called "Glastonbury" chair are on the Albion Works website:
      http://albionworks.com/ChairsPage/FoldingChairs.htm

      Properly constructed, they are not that difficult to assemble, though there is a certain amount of fussiness, and it takes a few tries to get the hang of it - in particular, getting the legs oriented correctly.   Still, with experience it shouldn't take 15 minutes per chair, more like 5.  And frankly, that's the price you pay for authenticity.

      On materials, I strongly recommend against Fir, or any other softwood prone to splitting (especially Fir!).  A guy down in Caid made one of these in 2X fir and when I last saw it, there were more 3" drywall screws than mortises.  Short-grain at the ends of the seat rails will split, even in oak sometimes.  (Elm would probably be best, if you can find it in 1X.)  Fir isn't really that much lighter than Ash and in fact often ends up being heavier, because you have to use thicker stuff to get enough strength.

      Cheers,
      Tim
      trying to avoid another rant about the SCA insistence that everything has to be cheap, AND lightweight, AND breakdown, AND easy, AND cheap... whoops, gotta go!

    • O B Livion
      Message 75 of 75 , Jun 5, 2010
        Of all the possible purposes I co sidered - that wasn't one of them.

        You learn something new every day (if not, what's the point of getting out of bed).

        Sent from my iPhone