Fwd: Re: [CALONTIR] Seeking black smith list server

  • Thomas von Holthausen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      [[[If you don't already know about Stefan's Florilegium, you should.
      Stefan is an apparently indefatigable compiler of our bits and pieces
      and discussions of Medieval lore.]]]

      It's unfortunate, but I've been unable to keep up with this group as much as I wish. It is not limited to East Kingdom folks. I'm in Ansteorra.

      Also, realize that not all hinges and hasps in the Middle Ages were made of iron. Here is a file in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium which details how to create various bits of hardware from leather.

      Lea-Hardware-art (8K) 10/ 6/07 "Leather 'Hardware' for the Woodworker" by Master Sven Odin Eye.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Lea-Hardware-art.html

      There are also several files in the HOME, SWEET HOME section on making chests, chairs and others pieces of medieval furniture as well as some metalworking and blacksmithing files in the CRAFTS section.

      Stefan

      On May 31, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Thomas von Holthausen wrote:

      > Forwarded from Medieval Sawdust list.
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > -------- Original Mes
      > On Tue, May 25, 2010 10:31 pm, Thomas von Holthausen wrote:
      > > Can you recommend documentation sources for medieval furniture hardware
      > > such as hinges, hasps, corners, ring bolt? I am planning on making a small
      > > chest from scratch using only period equivalent tools for wood and
      > > hardware and am just getting into the blacksmithing of the hardware.
      > >
      > > Is there an equivalent list to this one on woodworking for blacksmithing?
      > >
      > Herr Thomas--If you find such a list, please let me know! (Actually, let
      > this list know, because I suspect several others here might be interested
      > as well.)

      --------
    • Thomas von Holthausen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2010
        Another resource forwarded from the Calontir list.

        Northshield also has two, one for blacksmithing and one for making coins.

        SCA_NS_Blacksmiths@yahoogroups.com

        ns-moneyer@yahoogroups.com

        Katriona